Challenges of Regulating Quality of Service in the Postal Industry
Quality of service (QoS) is one of several regulatory objectives that authorities oversee. The EU Postal Directive, on the issue states: “Member States shall ensure that quality of service standards are set and published in relation to universal service in order to guarantee a postal service of good quality”. Subsidiarity is key, since the specification of domestic QoS regulation is left to individual countries.
- ANACOM. (2018). Parãmetros de Qualidade de ServiÓo e Objetivos de 474 Desempenho Associados Á PrestaÓÐo do ServiÓo Postal Universal. Consultation document of 11 January 2018, published at: https://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?contentId=1426422.
- Delibera, N. (n.d.). 396/15/CONS.Google Scholar
- Dieke et al. (2012). Quality Factors in Postal Price Regulation. Paper submitted for the 20th Conference on Postal and Delivery Economics in Brighton, U.K., 30 May – 2 June 2012.Google Scholar
- ERGP. (2016a). ERGP report Universal Services in light of changing postal end users’ needs. ERGP (16)36.Google Scholar
- ERGP. (2016b). Report on the quality of service, consumer protection and complaint handling – an analysis of trends. ERGP (16)37.Google Scholar
- Gazzetta Ufficiale. (2010). Contratto di programma 2009-2011 tra il ministero dello sviluppo 488 economico e poste italiane. Contract between the Italian government and Poste Italiane.Google Scholar
- House of commons. (2006). Postcomm and the quality of mail service - Fifth report of session 2006–07.Google Scholar
- Sveriges Radio. (2017). Postnord fär tvä dagar pä sig att dela ut inrikes brev. Article published on 12 October 2017, retrieved at: https://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=83&artikel=6797264.
- Regeringskansliet. (2017). Regeringen moderniserar postlagstiftningen. Press release of 12 October 2017, retrieved at: https://www.regeringen.se/pressmeddelanden/2017/10/regeringen-moderniserar-postlagstiftningen/.
- Laffont, J. J., & Tirole, J. (1993). A theory of incentives in procurement and regulation (p. 213). Cambridge, MA: Massachusetts Institute of Technology.Google Scholar
- Laffont, J. J., & Tirole, J. (2001). Competition in telecommunications (p. 88). Cambridge, MA: Massachusetts Institute of Technology.Google Scholar
- Postcomm. (2004). Memorandum by Postcomm.Google Scholar
- Postcomm. (2006). Condition 19 of Royal Mail’s licence.Google Scholar
- Swinand, G., & Scully, D. (2006). Incorporating quality of service measures into price-caps for post. New York, NY: Mimeo, London Economics.Google Scholar
- WIK. (2013). Main developments in the postal sector (2010–2013). Study for the European Commission, Directorate General for Internal Market and Services.Google Scholar
- Zurel, O. (2016). A systematic review of postal consumers’ needs within the USO framework. Paper presented at the 24th Conference on Postal Delivery Economics, Florence.Google Scholar