Postal Industry Diversification: Exploring New Worlds and Facing New Regulations
This chapter shows how innovation, in particular, operational diversification towards e-commerce and digital services, broadens the regulatory framework that postal operators must take into account.
First, we will analyze how the Belgian and French universal postal service providers succeed in using their infrastructure and their image of trust to diversify their activities to counter-balance revenue loss resulting from the decline in letter volumes.
We will then detail the different new regulatory issues that will be faced by postal operators when offering these new e-commerce and digital services, including digital identity tools or electronic safes.
- bpost annual report, 2017. http://corporate.bpost.be/~/media/Files/B/Bpost/year-in-review/en/bpost-annual-report-2017.pdf.
- Commission consultation on the existing EU consumer rules – May 2016. http://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/just/item-detail.cfm?item_id=31689.
- Commission assessment of the existing EU consumer rules – 29 May 2017. http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-17-1448_en.htm.
- European Parliament and Council Directive 98/6/EC on consumer protection in the indication of the prices of products offered to consumers - 16 February 1988.Google Scholar
- European Parliament and Council Directive 95/46/EC on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data – 24 October 1995.Google Scholar
- European Parliament and Council Directive 1999/44/EC on aspects of the sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees – 1999.Google Scholar
- European Parliament and Council Directive 2002/58/EC concerning the processing of personal data and the protection of privacy in the electronic communications sector (Directive on privacy and electronic communications) - 12 July 2002.Google Scholar
- European Parliament and Council Directive 2006/114/EC on misleading and comparative advertising – 12 December 2006.Google Scholar
- European Parliament and Council Directive 2009/22/EC on injunctions for the protection of consumers’ interests - 23 April 2009.Google Scholar
- European Parliament and Council Directive “on consumer rights” 2011/83/EU – 25 October 2011.Google Scholar
- European Parliament and Council Directive on measures for a high common level of security of network and information systems across the Union - 6 July 2016.Google Scholar
- Proposal for a European Parliament and Council Directive establishing the European Electronic Communications Code – 14 September 2016a.Google Scholar
- European Parliament and Council General Data Protection Regulation EU/2016/679 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) - 27 April 2016b.Google Scholar
- European Parliament and Council proposal for a Regulation concerning the respect for private life and the protection of personal data in electronic communications and repealing Directive 2002/58/EC – 10 January 2017.Google Scholar
- La Poste registration document, 2017. https://legroupe.laposte.fr/.../Le+Groupe+La+Poste+2017+Registration+Document.pdf.
- Van Gerven, K. (2017). bpost annual report (pp. 4–5). http://corporate.bpost.be/~/media/Files/B/Bpost/year-in-review/en/bpost-annual-report-2017.pdf