An Approach for Automatic Discovery, Composition and Invocation of Semantics Web Services for Data Mining
Nowadays, several educational institutions make use of e-Learning environments and other technologies to support the teaching and learning process. As a consequence, a large amount of data is generated from the many interactions of students, tutors, teachers and other actors involved in these environments. These data can be a great and important source of information, however, analyzing them is a complex and expensive task. One way to analyze such data properly is to apply Educational Data Mining (EDM) techniques, and thus to use the information obtained in decision making support. There are, however, several challenges in the application of mining in educational data. In particular, the integration challenge is complex because it involves different tools developed in different programming languages. Thus, we propose an approach for automatic discovery, composition and invocation of Semantic Web Services (SWS) for data mining based on a new semantic model. With this, we hope to contribute to a greater flexibility in the integration between data mining tools and e-Learning environments. In order to evaluate, we adopted a scenario-based method to evaluate quality attributes of performance and reliability of the proposed solution in these scenarios.
KeywordsSemantic web services Data mining Educational data mining
Authors would like to thank Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de Alagoas (FAPEAL) for financial support.
- 1.Barros, H.J.S.: Um middleware adaptável para descoberta, composição e invocação automática de serviços web semântico. Master’s thesis, Federal University of Alagoas (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Barros, H.J.S.: Um Modelo Semântico para Compartilhamento de Recursos Educacionais. Ph.D. thesis, Federal University of Campina Grande (2016)Google Scholar
- 3.IBM. Standards and web services (2017). Accessed 6 Jan 2017Google Scholar
- 4.IEDMS. What is EDM? (2016). Accessed 10 Oct 2016Google Scholar
- 6.Martin, D., et al.: OWL-S: semantic markup for web services. W3C Member Submission 22, 2007–04 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.MongoDB. What is MongoDB (2017). Accessed 6 Jan 2017Google Scholar
- 12.Romero, C., Ventura, S.: Data mining in education. Wiley Interdiscip. Rev.: Data Min. Knowl. Discov. 3(1), 12–27 (2013)Google Scholar
- 13.Schwarz, M., Lobur, M., Stekh, Y.: Analysis of the effectiveness of similarity measures for recommender systems. In: 2017 14th International Conference on Experience of Designing and Application of CAD Systems in Microelectronics (CADSM), pp. 275–277. IEEE (2017)Google Scholar
- 14.Souza, T.M.: Um framework para mineração de dados educacionais basedo em serviçõs semânticos. Master’s thesis, Federal University of Alagoas (2011)Google Scholar