A New Approach to the Modeling of Financial Volumes
In this paper we study the high frequency dynamic of financial volumes of traded stocks by using a semi-Markov approach. More precisely we assume that the intraday logarithmic change of volume is described by a weighted-indexed semi-Markov chain model. Based on this assumptions we show that this model is able to reproduce several empirical facts about volume evolution like time series dependence, intra-daily periodicity and volume asymmetry. Results have been obtained from a real data application to high frequency data from the Italian stock market from first of January 2007 until end of December 2010.
KeywordsSemi-Markov process High frequency data Financial volume
- 2.D’Amico, G., Petroni, F.: A semi-Markov model with memory for price changes. J. Stat. Mech. Theory Exp. P12009 (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.D’Amico, G., Petroni, F.: Weighted-indexed semi-Markov models for modeling financial returns. J. Stat. Mech. Theory Exp. P07015 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.D’Amico, G., Petroni, F.: Multivariate high-frequency financial data via semi-Markov processes. Markov Process. Relat. Fields 20, 415–434 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.De Jong, F., Rindi, B.: The Microstructure of Financial Markets. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Plerou, V., Stanley, H.E.: Tests of scaling and universality of the distributions of trade size and share volume: evidence from three distinct markets. Phys. Rev. E 76, 46–109 (2007)Google Scholar