Fram’s Test Voyage and the Island of the Misfit Dogs
This chapter incorporates information gleaned from archival film footage, shot by Roald Amundsen himself, to depict two events: Amundsen’s and his crew’s trial voyage along the Atlantic in the Fram in June–July 1910 and the 97 Greenland dogs’ temporary housing and captivity at Fredriksholm Fortress on Flekkerö (Flekkerøy) Island in July–August 1910. Featured are descriptions of proceedings on board the ship during the testing of the Polar vessel’s new motor and the ship’s capabilities, including a very uncensored scene of slaughter. Also featured are descriptions of the 97 dogs, chained to the inside of the fortress, as they are fed and tended to by a young girl helping expedition members Sverre Hassel, Adolf Lindstrøm, and Oscar Wisting care for the dogs, Lindstrøm’s unfortunate close encounter with one of the dogs, and Wisting’s retrieval of another dog who attempts a swim to freedom.
- Amundsen, R. Antarctic expedition diary, Den tredje Framferd, 7 de Juni 1910 [The Third Fram Journey, 7 June 1910], 7 June 1910–19 October 1911 & 26 January 1912–6 March 1912, NB Ms.4° 1549. Manuscripts collection. Oslo: National Library of Norway.Google Scholar
- Amundsen, R. Film footage. Roald Amundsen’s South Pole Expedition (1910–1912). Norwegian Film Institute (2010). Original film footage by Roald Amundsen and Kristian Prestrud, taken during the Norwegian Antarctic expedition, 1910–1912, restored and released on DVD. Restorers M. Skallerud, Laterna Magica et al., eds. J. Anders Diesen, I. Dokka, L. Gustavson, H. Østgaard Lund, et al. Norsk Filminstitutt, Oslo.Google Scholar
- Amundsen’s Home in Svartskog, Norway, author’s visits 12 March 2011 and 25 August 2012, Uranienborg – Roald Amundsen’s Home, (Stein Barli, director). Follo Museum, Norway.Google Scholar
- Amundsen, R. (1912). The South Pole: An account of the Norwegian Antarctic Expedition in the “Fram”, 1910–1912 (2 vols, A. G. Chater, Trans.). London: John Murray.Google Scholar
- Gjertsen, H. F. (Kløver, G. O., Ed.). (2011). Hjalmar Fredrik Gjertsens dagbøker: Sydpolsekspedisjonen 1910–1912 [Hjalmar Fredrik Gjertsen’s diaries: The South Pole expedition 1910–1912]. Oslo: The Fram Museum.Google Scholar
- M/S Maritime Museum of Denmark. (2018). Photo archives. M/S Museet for Søfart, Elsinore. http://billedarkiv.mfs.dk/fotoweb/archives/5001-Billedarkiv/archive/Arkiv-97/000028343.jpg.info#c=%2Ffotoweb%2Farchives%2F5001-Billedarkiv%2F%3Fq%3DS%252FS%2520Hans%2520Egede and http://billedarkiv.mfs.dk/fotoweb/archives/5001-Billedarkiv/archive/Arkiv-106/000029645.jpg.info#c=%2Ffotoweb%2Farchives%2F5001-Billedarkiv%2F%3Fq%3DS%252FS%2520Hans%2520Egede. Accessed 10 Mar 2018.
- Wisting, O. (1930). 16 År Med Roald Amundsen [16 years with Roald Amundsen]. Oslo: Gyldendal Norsk Forlag.Google Scholar