The Search for the Devil’s Depot
An account of the final leg of the return journey from the South Pole to the Great Ice Barrier is featured in this chapter, with details given regarding Roald Amundsen’s first route miscalculation, the resulting near disaster for the party, and the dogs’ saving of the expedition. The narrative includes the continued execution of strategy to reduce the number of sled dogs, the shorter route taken and the subsequent missing of a crucial food depot, the dogs’ grueling backtrack journey to retrieve the depot for the party, the retrieval of dog carcasses at Butcher’s Shop, the descent of 5000 feet below the Polar plateau at breakneck velocity, the reaching of the main depot, and an unexpected illness which necessitates action and upends Amundsen’s final plan regarding the dogs. The returning sled dogs are named and identified in this chapter. An analysis of the strategic decreasing of the number of dogs is also undertaken in this text, with facts given regarding the necessity versus the expediency of these killings, in light of Amundsen’s stated goal.
- Amundsen, R. Antarctic expedition diary, “Slededagbok fra turen til Sydpolen” [“Sledge diary from the trip to the South Pole”], 8 September 1911 – 25 January 1912, NB Ms.8° 1249, Manuscripts Collection. Oslo: National Library of Norway.Google Scholar
- Amundsen, R. (1912). The South Pole: An account of the Norwegian Antarctic Expedition in the “Fram”, 1910–1912 (2 vols, A. G. Chater, Trans.). London: John Murray.Google Scholar
- Bjaaland, O. (G. O. Kløver, Ed.). (2011). Olav Bjaalands dagbøker: Sydpolsekspedisjonen 1910–12 [Olav Bjaaland’s diaries: The South Pole Expedition 1910–12]. Oslo: The Fram Museum.Google Scholar
- Hanssen, H. (1936). Voyages of a modern Viking. London: George Routledge & Sons Ltd.Google Scholar
- Hassel, S. (G. O. Kløver, Ed.). (2011). Sverre Hassels dagbøker: Sydpolsekspedisjonen 1910–1912 [Sverre Hassel’s diaries: The South Pole expedition 1910–1912]. Oslo: The Fram Museum.Google Scholar
- Wisting, O. (G. O. Kløver, Ed.). (2011). Oscar Wistings dagbok 1910–1912 [Oscar Wisting’s Diary 1910–1912]. In Mannskapets dagbøker: Sydpolsekspedisjonen 1910–1914 [The Crew’s Diaries: The South Pole expedition 1910–1914]. Oslo: The Fram Museum.Google Scholar