Multilevel Coding for Multiple Input Multiple Output System
The future wireless communication system focuses on high data rate and reliability to cater the next generation technologies such as internet of things (IoT), real time voice calls etc., which would produce enormous real time multimedia data. In order to overcome the challenges, next generation wireless communication systems rely on MIMO techniques, which provide improved capacity without sacrificing the power and bandwidth. Many novel signal processing techniques have evolved in the past two decades for MIMO systems such as Spatial Multiplexing (SML), Space Time Coding (STC), Antenna Beamforming, Spatial Modulation (SM) and hybridization of the above mentioned techniques. In all these techniques, the computational complexity is the major problem when a high data rate is considered. This chapter focuses on computational complexity of the multilevel MIMO system and also investigates the performance of the multilevel MIMO system over varied channel conditions. Variations of Multilevel MIMO technique such as multilevel spatial modulation (MLSM) and Hybrid Multilevel (HML) Modulation scheme have been investigated and analyzed with low complex sequential decoding algorithm. Further, multilevel MIMO-OFDM systems MLSTTC-OFDM, MLSM-OFDM and HML-OFDM have also been compared.
KeywordsMIMO Space-time coding Spatial modulation Antenna diversity OFDM Multilevel coding Multistage decoding Viterbi algorithm Sequential decoding
- Baghaie, M. A. (2008). Multilevel space time trellis codes for Rayleigh fading channels (ME thesis). University of Canterbury, New Zealand.Google Scholar
- Jeganathan, J., Ghrayeb, A., & Szczecinski, L. (2008). Generalized space shift keying modulation for MIMO channels. IEEE PIMRC, 1–5. https://doi.org/10.1109/PIMRC.2008.4699782.
- Kavitha, K., & Mangalam, H. (2014). Multilevel spatial multiplexing –space time trellis coded modulation system for fast fading MIMO Channel. International Journal of Engineering and Technology, 6(1), 217–222.Google Scholar
- Kavitha, K., Kumaresan, A., & Arun Kumar, S. (2017). Performance analysis of multilevel spatial modulation OFDM technique (MLSM-MIMO). International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, 116(11), 101–109.Google Scholar
- Li, C. M., Li, G. W., & Liu, H. Y. (2012). Performance comparison of the STBCOFDM decoders in a fast fading channel. Journal of Marine Science and Technology, 20(5), 534–540.Google Scholar
- Renzo, M. D., & Haas, H. (2010). Performance comparison of different spatial modulation schemes in correlated fading channels. In: Proceeding of IEEE International Conference on Communications, 1–6. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICC.2010.5501948.
- Wolniansky, P., Foschini, G., Golden, G., & Valenzuela, R. (1998). V-BLAST: An architecture for realizing very high data rates over the rich-scattering wireless channel. URSI International Symposium- Signals, Systems, Electronics, 295–300.Google Scholar
- Yonnis, A., Serafimovski, N., Mesleh, R., & Haas, H. (2010). Generalised spatial modulation. In: Proceeding of IEEE Asilomar Conference, Signals Systems and Computers, 1498–1502. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACSSC.2010.5757786