Civic Engagement as Political Participation: Does PSM Create Politically Active Citizens?
In this chapter, we address the relationship between PSM and political participation. Results from a two-wave study of 300 individuals show a positive association between PSM and some political participation activities such as contacting politicians, petition signing, participation in demonstrations, donations and fundraising. We further corroborate the findings on volunteering presented in the previous chapter.
KeywordsPSM Political participation Civic engagement Multiwave Trust in government
- Christensen, T., & Lægreid, P. (2005). Trust in government: The relative importance of service satisfaction, political factors, and demography. Public Performance & Management Review, 28(4), 487–511.Google Scholar
- Hair, J. F., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., Anderson, R. E., & Tatham, R. L. (2010). Multivariate data analysis. Harlow, UK: Pearson.Google Scholar
- Homberg, F., Vogel, R., & Weiherl, J. (2017). Public service motivation and continuous organizational change: Taking charge behavior at police services. Public Administration. Available online at: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/padm.12354
- Houston, D. J. (2008). Behavior in the public square. In J. Perry & A. Hondeghem (Eds.), Motivation in public management: The call of public service (pp. 177–199). Oxford/New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Kim, S., Vandenabeele, W., Wright, B. E., Andersen, L. B., Cerase, F. P., & Christensen, R. K. (2013). Investigating the structure and meaning of public service motivation across populations: Developing an international instrument and addressing issues of measurement invariance. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 23(1), 79–102.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kjeldsen, A. M. (2012). Vocational study and public service motivation: Disentangling the socializing effects of higher education. International Public Management Journal, 15(4), 500–524.Google Scholar
- Parliament. House of Lords. (2018). The ties that bind: Citizenship and civic engagement in the 21st century (HL 2017–2019 (118)). London. Available online at: https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201719/ldselect/ldcitizen/118/118.pdf
- Solijonov, A. (2016). Voter turnout trends around the world. Stockholm: IDEA.Google Scholar