Dell’s Acquisition of EMC
On October 12, 2015, Dell made the public announcement to acquire EMC in a cash and stock deal valued at $74 billion. The deal was the largest ever acquisition in the technology sector. The acquisition combined Dell’s enterprise server, personal computer, and mobile businesses with EMC’s enterprise storage business. Dell paid $24.05 per share of EMC and $9.05 per share of tracking stock in VMware. EMC shareholders received 0.11146 shares of new tracking stock for each EMC share. The deal brought together the leading provider of key computer storage products and top makers of servers and personal computers. The acquisition was to facilitate Dell to become one stop shop for business customers. The combined Dell EMC was named Dell Technologies. After the merger, Dell Technologies became world’s number one seller of storage systems, number two market position with respect to servers and number three position with respect to personal computers. The combination created a $74 billion market leader with expansive technology portfolio consisting of hybrid cloud, software-defined data center, converged infrastructure, platform as a service, data analytics, mobility, and cybersecurity. The merger resulted in the creation of the world’s largest privately controlled technology company. The acquisition gave Dell a strong enterprise storage component and entry into hybrid cloud computing market.
- Barker C (2017) Dell and EMC one year on. How has it gone so far? https://www.zdnet.com/article/dell-emc-one-year-on-how-has-it-gone-so-far/. Accessed 07 Jan 2018
- Dell EMC Press Release (2016) Historic Dell and EMC Merger Complete; forms world’s largest privately controlled tech company. https://www.emc.com/about/news/press/2016/20160907-01.htm. Accessed 07 Jan 2018
- Furrier J (2017) One-year birthday of $67 billion mega merger with Dell EM; Exclusive with Michael Dell. https://www.forbes.com/sites/siliconangle/2017/09/08/one-year-birthday-of-67-billion-mega-merger-with-dell-emc-exclusive-with-michael-dell/#38c653593068. Accessed 07 Jan 2018Google Scholar
- Miller R (2016) $67 billion Dell EMC deal closes today. https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/07/67-billion-dell-emc-deal-becomes-official-today. Accessed 07 Jan 2018
- Ram ML (2016) The Gamblers behind Tech’s biggest deal ever. http://fortune.com/dell-emc-merger-tech-biggest-deal/. Accessed 08 Jan 2018
- Womack B (2017) Dell benefits in first year after EMC merger with sales up. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-07/dell-reports-sales-of-19-billion-on-anniversary-of-emc-deal. Accessed 07 Jan 2018