- 218 Downloads
Botswana is a large but sparsely populated country within Southern Africa. Independent since 1966, the country has developed a vast and multilayered sports system featuring a myriad of organizations. Underpinning these organizations is a pool of over 3,000 volunteers who ensure the delivery of programs and events. Though Botswana is a collectivistic society that embraces values of cooperation and respect, personal and financial considerations nonetheless play a role in the nature of volunteering, both in sports and generally. The state also provides explicit support to a variety of volunteering initiatives, including financing the Botswana Sports Volunteer Movement, running the Botswana National Service Programme, and managing the Graduate Volunteer Scheme. In spite of this support, however, the aforementioned initiatives have come under frequent criticism, and, if unresolved, these criticisms risk eroding the overall quantity and quality of volunteers in the country, which in turn will have a detrimental effect on the sports sector and civil society in general.
- Anderson, G. (2014). Botswana President Khama opens African Youth Games and calls for release of abducted Nigerian schoolgirls. http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1020247/botswana-president-khama-opens-african-youth-games-and-calls-for-release-of-abducted-nigerian-schoolgirls. Accessed 15.01.2018.
- Batweng, V. (2015, March 29). Botswana graduates: Unemployed or unemployable? Sunday Standard. Retrieved from http://www.sundaystandard.info/botswana-graduates-unemployed-or-unemployable
- BOPA (2015, August 4). 74 enroll in graduate volunteer scheme. Daily news. Retrieved from http://www.dailynews.gov.bw/news-details.php?nid=21948
- Botswana Gazette. (2015, 16.04.2015). The P600 a month graduate, Botswana Gazette. Retrieved from http://www.thegazette.news/the-p600-a-month-graduate/
- Botswana National Olympic Committee (2014). About The BNOC. http://botswananoc.org/about-bnoc. Accessed 01.02.2018.
- Botswana National Sports Commission (2016). About the BNSC. http://www.bnsc.co.bw/bnsc-about-us.php?pagename=About%20BNSC. Accessed 01.02.2018.
- Botswana National Sports Commission (n.d.a). Sports Volunteer Movement. http://www.bnsc.co.bw/bnsc-download.php?pagename=Download%20Document
- Botswana National Sports Commission (n.d.b). BNSC Sitting Allowance Policy. http://www.bnsc.co.bw/bnsc-download.php?pagename=Download%20Document
- Botswana Sport Volunteer Movement (2016). About SVM. http://www.botswanasvm.co.bw/svm-content/cid/31/about-svm/. Accessed 01.02.2018.
- CIA World Factbook (2016). Botswana. http://www.ciaworldfactbook.us/africa/botswana.html. Accessed 25.01.2018.
- Embassy of the Republic of Botswana in Sweden (2015). Graduate Volunteer Scheme. http://www.botswana.se/News/PRESS-RELEASE-GRADUATE-VOLUNTEER-SCHEME-GVS. Accessed 29.01.2018.
- Kebadiretse, F. (2012, August 15). Volunteers’ movement spreads wings. Mmegi. Retrieved from http://www.mmegi.bw/index.php?sid=8&aid=490&dir=2012/August/Wednesday15/
- Kgobogoe, B. (2015, December 5). Botswana Games attract 600 volunteers. Mmegi. Retrieved from http://www.mmegi.bw/index.php?aid=56214&dir=2015/december/03
- Lekorwe, M., & Mpabanga, D. (2007). Managing non-governmental organizations in Botswana. The Innovation Journal: The Public Sector Innovation Journal, 12(3), 2–18.Google Scholar
- Lemmenyane, T. (2015, July 5). More questions than answers as GVS replaces internship program. Sunday Standard. Retrieved from http://www.sundaystandard.info/more-questions-answers-gvs-replaces-internshipprogram
- Lewis, J., & Stephen, R. (2005). Explaining Botswana’s success: The importance of culture. https://apps.carleton.edu/campus/president/slewis/speeches_writings/botswana_success/. Accessed 31.01.2018.
- Merriam, S. B., & Ntseane, G. (2007). Transformational learning in Botswana: How culture shapes the process. Adult Education Research Conference.Google Scholar
- Mogomotsi, G. E. J., Madigele, P. K., & Chamberlain, J. M. (2017). A cursory discussion of policy alternatives for addressing youth unemployment in Botswana. Cogent Social Sciences, 3(1). https://doi.org/10.1080/23311886.2017.1356619.
- Molefe, D., & Weeks, S. (2001). National service - Is it a thirteenth year of education? The rise and fall of an innovation in Botswana. Africa Today, 48(2), 1–25.Google Scholar
- Moustakas, L. (2016). Big games in small places: The perceived impact of the African Youth Games on organizational capacity in Botswana. Unpublished Master's Thesis: German Sport University Cologne.Google Scholar
- Parliament of Botswana (2014). Botswana National Sport Commission Act. Gaborone: Government of Botswana.Google Scholar
- Preece, J., & Mosweunyane, D. (2004). Perceptions of citizenship responsibility amongst Botswana Youth. Gaborone: Lightbooks.Google Scholar
- Rankopo, M., Osei-Hwedie, K., & Moroka, T. (2006). Five-Country Study of Service and Volunteering in Southern Africa: Botswana Country Report. Johannesburg: VOSESA.Google Scholar
- Rankopo, M., Osei-Hwedie, K., & Moroka, T. (2007). Issues in service and volunteerism in Botswana. In L. Patel & R. Mupedziswa (Eds.), Research partnerships build the service field in Africa: Special issue on civic service in the Southern African development community (pp. 24–38). Johannesburg: VOSESA.Google Scholar
- Rantsimako, S. (2016, August 25). Graduates reject the notorious GVS. Botswana Gazette. Retrieved from http://www.thegazette.news/graduates-reject-the-notorious-gvs/
- Republic of Botswana (2014). National Service Programme takes off. http://www.gov.bw/en/News/NATIONAL-SERVICE-PROGRAMME-TAKES-OFF/. Accessed 29.01.2018.
- Regoeng, T. (2017, August 4). Volunteers demand payments for Netball world youth cup. Botswana Gazette. Retrieved from http://www.thegazette.news/volunteers-demand-payments-for-netball-world-youth-cup/
- Sekwati, L., Narayana, N., & Raboloko, M. (2002). Understanding the nature of household poverty in Botswana. Botswana Journal of African Studies, 26(46), 71–81.Google Scholar
- Shabani, T. (2014, June 19). Half quit Tirelo Setshaba. Daily News. Retrieved from http://www.dailynews.gov.bw/news-details.php?nid=12237