Leadership, Culture, and Innovation
Hynes and Mickahail provides a much-needed discussion on Creative Leadership, Design Thinking, diversity, and creating an innovative organizational culture. Original visual graphics and exercises lead the reader through the research on leading during times of rapid change, empowering collaboration in teams, communication styles, performance indicators, and building an appetite for innovation in organizations. Creative leadership, building an innovative organizational culture, and developing individuals are featured in the visuals and self-reflection exercises. Relevant, real-world examples are shared throughout the chapter in this practitioner-based research. The original research includes a case study exploring how an innovative manufacturing tech company finds and retains creative people as well as building successful relationships with customers.
KeywordsLeadership Culture Innovation Rapid change Diversity Creative leadership Design thinking Authentic leadership Transformational leadership Communication Shared vision Flat hierarchies Samtec Inc Communication strategies Appetite for change Employee turnover Case study Communication strategy Passion Motivation Perspective Technology Boundary
- Amabile, T. M., & Khaire, M. (2008). Creativity and the role of the leader. Harvard Business Review, 86(10), 100. Google Scholar
- Belias, D., & Koustelios, A. (2014). The impact of leadership and change management strategy on organizational culture. European Scientific Journal, ESJ, 10(7). https://doi.org/10.19044/esj.2014.v10n7p%25p.
- Bertels, H. M., Koen, P. A., & Elsum, I. (2015). Business models outside the core: Lessons learned from success and failure. Research-Technology Management, 58(2), 20–29.Google Scholar
- Blagoev, D., & Yordanova, Z. (2015). Company innovative leadership model. Economic Alternatives, 2, 5–16.Google Scholar
- Camarda, A., Ezzat, H., Cassotti, M., Agogué, M., Weil, B., & Le Masson, P. (2017, June). The role of expertise in design fixation: Managerial implications for creative leadership. In The 24th Innovation and Product Development Management Conference.Google Scholar
- Cea, J. L., & Rimington, J. (2017). Creating breakout innovation. Stanford Social Innovation Review, 15(Summer), 32–39. Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.contentproxy.phoenix.edu/docview/1903047093?accountid=134061.
- Dam, R., & Siang, T. (2018). Empathy map—Why and how to use it. [online] The Interaction Design Foundation. Retrieved from https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/article/empathy-map-why-and-how-to-use-it. Accessed 24 Oct 2018.
- Dewar, C. & Doucette, R. (2018). Culture: 4 keys to why it matters. McKinsey & Company: Leadership and Organization. Retrieved from https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/organization/our-insights/the-organization-blog/culture-4-keys-to-why-it-matters?.
- Eisele, P. (2017). Assessment of leadership for innovation and perceived organizational innovativeness: Differences between self-reported individual and social creativity. International Journal of Organizational Leadership, 6(4), 470.Google Scholar
- Fris, J., & Lazaridou, A. (2017). An additional way of thinking about organizational life and leadership: The quantum perspective. Canadian Journal of Educational Administration and Policy, 48, 1–29. Google Scholar
- Godin, S. (2008). Tribes: We need you to lead us. New York: Penguin. Google Scholar
- Guldmann, E., Bocken, N. M., & Brezet, H. (2018). Circular design thinking: Developing a framework for circular business model innovation and organizational transformation. Journal of Business Models. https://doi.org/10.3233/978-1-61499-820-4-417.
- Hamel, G., & Tennant, N. (2015). The 5 requirements of a truly innovative company. Harvard Business Review, 27.Google Scholar
- Hensley, S. (2018). Amazon, JPMorgan Chase and Berkshire Hathaway Pursue the Health Care ‘Unicorn’. NPR. Retrieved from https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/01/30/581809613/amazon-jpmorgan-chase-and-berkshire-hathaway-pursue-the-health-care-unicorn.
- Hernandez, D. (2017). Eliminate organizational silos by building a culture of collaboration. Leadership Excellence Essentials, 34(10), 12. Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.contentproxy.phoenix.edu/docview/2036743990?accountid=134061.
- Hill, L. A., Brandeau, G., Truelove, E., & Lineback, K. (2014). Collective genius: The art and practice of leading innovation. Boston, MA: Harvard Business Review Press.Google Scholar
- Hutchinson, K. (2018). Leadership purpose. In Leadership and small business. London, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Hynes, R., & Mickahail, B. K. (2018). Case study: Creative leadership and innovation in a tech manufacturing company.Google Scholar
- Jones, S., & Moawad, R. (2015). Building an organizational culture: The experience of startup companies. Effective Executive, 18(2), 38.Google Scholar
- Ladd, T., & Kendall, L. (2017). Resolving the risk paradox: Entrepreneurial cognition in the lean startup method. The Journal of Applied Business and Economics, 19(11/12), 28–42.Google Scholar
- Leeuwis, C., & Aarts, M. N. C. (2016). Communication as intermediation for socio-technical innovation. JCOM Journal of Science Communication, 15(6), 1–12.Google Scholar
- Li, F. (2018). Innovating in the exponential economy: Digital disruption and bridging the new innovation-execution gap. Retrieved from http://openaccess.city.ac.uk/19392/9/innovating%20in%20the%20exponential%20economy%20-%20final%20-%20amadeus.pdf%20.
- Littlejohn, R. & Taylor, A. (2018). Dephy: A case study of an innovative startup.Google Scholar
- Martins, A., Martins, I., & Pereira, O. (2016). Embracing innovation and creativity through the capacity of unlearning. In P. Ordoñez de Pablos & R. D. Tennyson (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Human Resources Strategies for the New Millennial Workforce (pp. 128–147). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.Google Scholar
- Matsuo, M. (2017). Managers’ exploration activities and individual unlearning: The mediating role of learning orientation and reflection. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 1–19. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2017.1362022.
- McChrystal, G. S., Collins, T., Silverman, D., & Fussell, C. (2015). Team of teams: New rules of engagement for a complex world. New York, NY: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Mohammed, H. A., & Ahmad, R. (2016). Leadership to drive projects to effective change, lead like a maestro: Twirl the baton; good losers shall win! Paper presented at PMI® Global Congress 2016—EMEA, Barcelona, Spain. Newtown Square, PA: Project Management Institute.Google Scholar
- Mustafa, G., Glavee-Geo, R., & Rice, P. M. (2017). Teamwork orientation and personal learning: The role of individual cultural values and value congruence. SA Journal of Psychology, 43, 13p.Google Scholar
- Naiman, L., (2017). Design thinking as a strategy for innovation. Retrieved from https://www.creativityatwork.com/design-thinking-strategy-for-innovation/.
- Nodoushani, O., Stewart, C., & Wall, A. (2017). Leadership: A gateway to organizational innovation. Competition Forum, 15(1), 155–162.Google Scholar
- Puente-Díaz, R., & Karwowski, M. (2017). Creative self-beliefs and their implications for creativity and innovation. In The Role of Creativity in the Management of Innovation: State of the Art and Future Research Outlook (pp. 149–158). London: World Scientific. https://doi.org/10.1142/9781786342010_0008.Google Scholar
- Randel, A. E., & Jaussi, K. S. (2017). Leading for uniqueness: The role of uniqueness in facilitating creativity in employees’ self-concepts. In M. Karwowski & J. C. Kaufman (Eds.), Explorations in creativity research. The creative self: Effect of beliefs, self-efficacy, mindset, and identity (pp. 289–299). San Diego, CA, US: Elsevier Academic Press. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-809790-8.00016-9.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rigolizzo, M., & Amabile, T. (2015). Entrepreneurial creativity: The role of learning processes and work environment supports. In The Oxford Handbook of Creativity, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship (pp. 61–78). London, UK: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Samtec, Inc. (2018). Samtec awards and press. Retrieved from https://www.samtec.com/about.
- Sanders, E. J. (2017). The human frontier: Building an inclusive organizational culture. Journal of Organizational Psychology, 17(1), 71.Google Scholar
- Scandura, T. A. (2017). Essentials of organizational behavior: An evidence-based approach. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Taylor, A., Hauer, J., & Hynes, R. (2018). Boston Engineering: A case study of innovation, startups, development, and implementation.Google Scholar
- Turak, A. (2013, July 15). Can creativity be taught? Retrieved from http://www.forbes.com/sites/augustturak/2011/05/22/cancreativity-be-taught/.
- Vernooij, M. & Wolfe, R. (2014). The need for creative leadership. Retrieved from https://www.thnk.org/insights/the-need-for-creative-leadership/.
- Wunker, S., & Farber, D. (2015, July). 5 strategies big businesses use to build a culture of innovation. Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephenwunker/2015/07/29/5-strategic-big-businesses-use-to-build-a-culture-of-innovation/#55e2a0a4740e.