Relationships Among Leadership, Organizational Culture, and Support for Innovation
Taylor, Santiago, and Hynes provide a much-needed discussion on leadership, diversity, and creating an innovative organizational culture. Original visual graphics and exercises lead the reader through the research on effective leadership, communication styles, and ways to build diversity in organizations. Creative leadership, building an innovative organizational culture, and developing individual readers are featured in the visuals and self-reflection exercises. Relevant, real-world examples are shared throughout the chapter in this practitioner-based research. The original research includes a case study exploring how an innovative tech company finds and retains creative people as well as building successful relationships with customers.
KeywordsLeadership Organizational culture Innovation Creativity Creative leadership Samtec Inc Boston Engineering Dephy Organizational culture Win-win environment Diversity Teams Culture of diversity Culture of innovation Risk-taking Change agent Content system Communications system Diverse workforce People-centric leadership Inclusive leadership Maeda Follower development Case study Passion Motivation Perspective Digital Boundary
- Abdolmaleki, J., Amani Ashloublagh, M., Ameri Shahrabi, M., Kazemi Ashlaghi, A., & Safdari, S. (2013). A study on effects of leadership style on innovation: A case study from automaker industry. Management Science Letters, 3(7), 1977–1982. https://doi.org/10.5267/j.msl.2013.06.028.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Amabile, T. M., & Khaire, M. (2008, October). Creativity and the role of the leader. Harvard Business Review, 86(10), 100.Google Scholar
- Austin, R. D., & Pisano, G. P. (2017). Neurodiversity as a competitive advantage. Harvard Business Review, 95, 96–103.Google Scholar
- Basile, A., & Faraci, R. (2015). Aligning management model and business model in the management innovation perspective: The role of managerial dynamic capabilities in the organizational change. Journal of Organizational Change Management, 28(1), 43–58. https://doi.org/10.1108/JOCM-10-2013-0199.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Belias, D., & Koustelios, A. (2014). The impact of leadership and change management strategy on organizational culture. European Scientific Journal, ESJ, 10(7), 451–470.Google Scholar
- Birasnav, M. (2014). Knowledge management and organizational performance in the service industry: The role of transformational leadership beyond the effects of transactional leadership. Journal of Business Research, 67(8), 1622–1629. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2013.09.006.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bunker, K. A., & Wakefield, M. (2010). Leading with authenticity in times of transition (1st ed.). Greensboro: Center for Creative Leadership.Google Scholar
- Carnevale, A. P., Smith, N., & Strohl, J. (2013). Recovery—Job growth and education requirements through 2020. Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Cepeda-Carrion, I., Martelo-Landroguez, S., Leal-Rodríguez, A. L., & Leal-Millán, A. (2016). Critical processes of knowledge management: An approach toward the creation of customer value. European Research on Management and Business Economics, 23(1), 1–7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iedeen.2016.03.001.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cojocaru, C., & Cojocaru, S. (2013). Leadership and innovation: The catalyst of IT&C industry: A case study of BlackBerry Company. Manager, 17(1), 55–61. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.library.yorku.ca/login?url= http://search.proquest.com/docview/1518529008?accountid=15182.
- Cruickshank, L. (2016). Open design and innovation: Facilitating creativity in everyone. Routledge.Google Scholar
- Dillon, B., & Bourke, J. (2016). The six signatures traits of inclusive leadership. London: Deloitte University Press.Google Scholar
- Friedman, H. H., Friedman, L. W., & Leverton, C. (2016). Increase diversity to boost creativity and enhance problem solving. Psychosociological Issues in Human Resource Management, 4(2), 7–33. Retrieved from http://login.ezproxy.lib.umn.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&AuthType=ip,uid&db=buh&AN=117304476&site=ehost-live.
- Garcia-Morales, V. J., Matias-Reche, F., & Hurtado-Torres, N. (2008). Influence of transformational leadership on organizational innovation and performance depending on the level of organizational learning in the pharmaceutical sector. Journal of Organizational Change Management, 21(2), 188–212. https://doi.org/10.1108/09534810810856435.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Golden, J. H., III. (2016). Examining relationships between transformational leadership and employee creativity and innovation performance: The moderator effects of culture. Doctoral dissertation. Retrieved from ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global (1774429036).Google Scholar
- Henderson, T. (2018). Why innovation is crucial to your organization’s long-term success. Forbes.com. Retrieved July 3, 2018, from https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbescoachescouncil/2017/05/08/why-innovation-is-crucial-to-your-organizations-long-term-success/#3e9fd3e03098.
- Hynes, R, & Mickahail, B. (2018) Case study: Creative Leadership and Diversity in a Manufacturing Tech Company.Google Scholar
- Ishak, W. (2017, September). Creating an innovation culture. McKinsey Quarterly, 2017(4). Retrieved from https//www.mckinsey.com.
- Kokpol, O. (2018). People-centric leadership at the local level: Yala municipality, Thailand. In Knowledge creation in community development (pp. 35–57). Cham: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Lorenzo, R., Voigt, N., Tsusaka, M., Krentz, M., & Abouzahr, K. (2018). How diverse leadership teams boost innovation. Retrieved from https://www.bcg.com/en-us/publications/2018/how-diverse-leadership-teams-boost-innovation.aspx.
- Maeda, J. (2011). Redesigning leadership. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- McGrath, J. E., Berdahl, J. L., & Arrow, H. (1995). Traits, expectations, culture, and clout: The dynamics of diversity in work groups. In S. E. Jackson & M. N. Ruderman (Eds.), Diversity in work teams: Research paradigms for a changing workplace; diversity in work teams: Research paradigms for a changing workplace (pp. 17–45). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ngo, J. C. (2015). The impact of innovation climate on organizational effectiveness. Journal of Asia Entrepreneurship and Sustainability, 11(6), 114–160.Google Scholar
- Nodoushani, O., Stewart, C., & Wall, A. (2017). Leadership: A gateway to organizational innovation. Competition Forum, 15(1), 155–162.Google Scholar
- Prahalad, C. K., & Hamel, G. (1990). The core competence of the corporation. Harvard Business Review, 90, 79–91.Google Scholar
- Ringle, M., & Zamblit, H. (2018). The most innovative companies in 2018: Innovators go all in on digital. The Boston Consulting Company. Retrieved from https://www.bcg.com/en-us/publications/collections/most-innovative-companies-2018.aspx.
- Rock, D., & Grant, H. (2016). Why diverse teams are smarter. Harvard Business Review, 95(11), 2–5. Retrieved from https://hbr.org/2016/11/why-diverse-teams-are-smarter.
- Rock, D., Grant, H., & Grey, J. (2016). Diverse teams feel less comfortable—and that’s why they perform better. Harvard Business Review, 95(9), 22. Retrieved from https://hbr.org/2016/09/diverse-teams-feel-less-comfortable-and-thats-why-theyperform-better.
- Sarros, J. C., Cooper, B. K., & Santora, J. C. (2011). Leadership vision, organizational culture, and support for innovation in not-for-profit and for-profit organizations. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 32(3), 291–309. https://doi.org/10.1108/01437731111123933.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sattayaraksa, T., & Boon-itt, S. (2016). CEO transformational leadership and the new product development process: The mediating roles of organizational learning and innovation culture. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 37(6), 730–749. https://doi.org/10.1108/LODJ-10-2014-0197.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Taylor, A. (2018). Organizational change mechanisms: A visual layout.Google Scholar
- Taylor, A., Hauer, J., & Hynes, R. (2018). Case study: Boston engineering and innovative leadership.Google Scholar
- Van Dijk, M., Davidson, G., & Mecozzi, V. (2017, November). Creative leadership: School of creative leadership. Retrieved from the school of creative leadership website https://www.thnk.org/insights/what-is-creative-leadership/.
- Van Gundy, A. B., & Naiman, L. (2003). Orchestrating collaboration at work: Using music, improv, storytelling and other arts to improve teamwork. San Francisco: Wiley/Jossey-Bass/ Pfeiffer.Google Scholar
- Wartzman, R. (2014). What Peter Drucker knew about 2020. Harvard Business Review (Special ed.). http://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781107415324.004.
- Wipulanusat, W., Panuwatwanich, K., & Stewart, R. A. (2017). Exploring leadership styles for innovation: An exploratory factor analysis. Ekonomia i Zarzadzanie, 9(1), 7–17.Google Scholar
- Wunker, S., & Farber, D. (2015, July). 5 strategies big businesses use to build a culture of innovation. Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephenwunker/2015/07/29/5-strategic-big-businesses-use-to-build-a-culture-of-innovation/#55e2a0a4740e.
- Xenikou, A. (2017). Transformational leadership, transactional contingent reward, and organizational identification: The mediating effect of perceived innovation and goal culture orientation. Frontiers in Psychology, 8. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2017.01754.