The Contemporary Crisis of the Humanities: The Attack on the Western Canon and The Long Arm of Nietzsche, Marx, and Foucault
- 101 Downloads
In a recent article for the New York Times Columnist Ross Douthat declares “Technocracy is Crushing the Life Out of Humanism.” Citing data on the declining position of the humanities in American education he writes:
- Bernstein, Richard. 1988. In Dispute on Bias Stanford is Likely to Alter Western Culture Program. New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/1988/01/19/us/in-dispute-on-bias-stanford-is-likely-to-alter-western-culture-program.html. Accessed 11 Apr 2018.
- Conn, Peter. 2010. We Need to Acknowledge the Realities of Employment in the Humanities. At Chronicle. http://www.chronicle.com/article/We-Need-to-Acknowledge-the/64885. Accessed May 2018.
- Douthat, Ross. 2018. Oh the Humanities. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/08/opinion/oh-the-humanities.html August 8, 2018. Accessed 29 Aug 2018.
- Foucault, Michel. 1976. Political Function of the Intellectual. Published in Politique Hebdo, 247 from An interview in Radical Philosophy, 16. https://www.radicalphilosophyarchive.com/wp-content/files_mf/rp17_article2_politicalfunctionofintellectual_foucault.pdf. Accessed 4/11/2018.
- Hess, Frederick M. 2008. Still at Risk. At AEI. https://www.aei.org/publication/still-at-risk/. Accessed 5/3/2017.
- Kreeger, Erika. The White Civ’s Burden. Op-Ed in Stanford Daily. https://www.stanforddaily.com/2016/02/22/the-white-civs-burden/ Accessed 11 Apr 2018.
- Marx, Karl. 1976. Theses on Feuerbach. At Montclair.edu. https://msuweb.montclair.edu/~furrg/gned/marxtonf45.pdf. Accessed 5/4/2017.
- Marx, Karl and Friedrich Engels. 1888. The Communist Manifesto. Trans. Samuel Moore (assisted by Engels.). https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1848/communist-manifesto/ch02.htm. Accessed 11 Apr 2018.
- Nietzsche, Friedrich. Truth and Lie in an Extra-Moral Sense. Trans. Walter Kauffmann (Probable). At Oregon State. http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/phl201/modules/Philosophers/Nietzsche/Truth_and_Lie_in_an_Extra-Moral_Sense.htm. Accessed 11 Apr 2018.
- –––. 1989 (reissue). On the Genealogy of Morals and Ecce Homo. Trans and ed. Walter Kaufmann and R.J. Hollingsdale. Vintage Press.Google Scholar
- Said, Edward. 1978 (2014). Orientalism London: Routledge & Keegan. At Evergreen: https://sites.evergreen.edu/politicalshakespeares/wp-content/uploads/sites/33/2014/12/Said:full.pdf. Accessed May 2018.
- Shorey, Paul. Paul Shorey. The Assault on Humanism. The Atlantic Monthly Company, 1917. https://archive.org/stream/assaultonhumani01shorgoog/assaultonhumani01shorgoog_djvu.txt. Accessed 13 June 2018.
- Stover, Justin. 2017. “There is no Case for the Humanities.” In American Affairs. Winter 2017/Volume I, Number. https://americanaffairsjournal.org/2017/11/no-case-humanities/?utm_content=buffer23ea4&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer. Accessed May 2018.
- Strauss, Valerie. 2016. “Students Remove Shakespeare Portrait From English Department at Ivy League School.” Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2016/12/13/students-remove-shakespeare-portrait-from-english-department-at-ivy-league-school/?utm_term=.2e3c0c214bd7. Accessed 11 Apr 2018.
© Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2018