Performance-Based Financing of Kindergartens: Bulgaria
The goal of this chapter is to evaluate the system of performance-based financing of kindergartens in Bulgaria. The state allocates large sums of money for this level of preschool education and distributes the money to municipalities on the basis of a formula. In this way, ‘student vouchers’ are officially used to finance municipal kindergartens, with the hypothetical potential of encouraging improvements in quality. In reality, the system is far from being performance-based—municipalities simply cover all the remaining costs of their kindergartens to balance the institutional budgets, independent of performance.
KeywordsPerformance-based financing Kindergarten Budget allocation
- Ministry of Education and Science. 2016. Data from the Section on Preschool and School Delegated Budgets. Accessed 7 April 2017. http://www.mon.bg/?go=page&pageId=9&subpageId=66.
- Ministry of Finance. 2016. General Public Finance Data. Accessed 7 April 2017. www.minfin.bg.
- Municipality of Silistra. Data on Preschool Education and on Municipal Costs and Expenditures. Accessed 3 April 2017. http://www.silistra.bg.
- NAMRB National Association of Municipalities in the Republic of Bulgaria. 2015. Database on Local Finance. Accessed 7 April 2017. http://www.namrb.obuchi-se.org/norway/bg-bg/%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%87%D0%B0%D0%BB%D0%BE.aspx.
- National Statistical Institute. 2016. Data on Kindergartens (Pre-primary Education). Accessed 18 April 2017. http://www.nsi.bg/en/content/4792/kindergartens-pre-primary-education.