An Information Management Framework to Industry 4.0: A Lean Thinking Approach
Industry 4.0 is driven by modern information and communication technologies and is associated with smart factories that promote the digital industry with rapid production environments. Despite the benefits expected from the Industry 4.0, the daily volume of unstructured data in that environment may generate noise, as isolated this data do not provide any added value. In this context, Lean Thinking applied to information processes can minimize such waste, helping in the definition of information flows, as well as on the selection of relevant and value-added data. The present paper aims to analyse the relationship between Lean Thinking and Industry 4.0, and propose a framework that promotes the understanding of this relationship, as well as its impact on the information management processes.
KeywordsIndustry 4.0 Lean Thinking Information management Information systems
This work is funded by National Funds through FCT - Foundation for Science and Technology, in the context of the project PEst-OE/EEI/UI0127/2014.
- 2.Ibbitson, A., Smith, R.: The Lean Information Management (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Shmueli, G., Kenett, R.: An information quality (InfoQ) framework for ex-ante and ex-post evaluation of empirical studies. In: Uden, L., Wang, L., Hong, TP., Yang, H.C., Yang, T. (eds.) The 3rd International Workshop on Intelligent Data Analysis and Management. Springer Proceedings in Complexity, pp. 1–13 (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Bell, S., Orzen, M.: What is information waste? Lean Enterprise Institute, Inc. (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Tortorella, G.L., Fettermann, D.: Implementation of Industry 4.0 and lean production in Brazilian manufacturing companies. Int. J. Prod. Res. 7543, 1–13 (2017)Google Scholar
- 11.Leyh, C., Martin, S.: Industry 4.0 and lean production – a matching relationship? An analysis of selected Industry 4.0 models. In: Proceedings of the Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, pp. 989–993 (2017)Google Scholar
- 13.Chaudhary, P., Hyde, M., Rodger, J.A.: Exploring the benefits of an agile information system. Intell. Inf. Manag. 9, 133–155 (2017)Google Scholar