The Evaluation of the Interaction Between Human Buttocks Thighs and Wheelchair Seat Cushion to Prevent Pressure Ulcers Using Finite Element Analysis
This study quantifies the impact of seat wheelchair cushion in order to improve the sitting position of the patient. In fact, there are many ways to prevent pressure ulcers (PUs) by improving seated comfort and reducing of stress and pressure in the seat cushion for wheelchair users. The objective of cushions assistance for pressure ulcers prevention is to decrease the effects of pressure between wheelchair seat cushion and buttocks. We suggest two different cases in the interaction between wheelchair seat cushion and buttocks-thighs: using three-dimensional models of biomechanics, numerical simulation by finite element analysis. The compared results in this study can contribute to have the evaluation and prevention of PUs in seated position using seat wheelchair cushions. The pressure distribution investigation at surface of buttocks-thighs tissue with wheelchair seat cushion and stress on the buttocks-thighs tissue is very important.
KeywordsWheelchair seat cushion Buttocks-thighs Pressure ulcers (PUs) Finite element analysis Numerical simulation
This research is funded by Funds for Science and Technology Development of the University of Danang under project number 46/HĐ-KHCN-2018.
- 1.Organisation mondiale de la Santé et Banque mondiale: Rapport mondial sur le handicap (2011). http://www.who.int/disabilities/world_report/2011/summary_fr.pdf
- 2.Crenshaw, R.P., Vistnes, L.M.: A decade of pressure sore research: 1977-1987. J. Rehabil. Res. Dev. 26, 63–74 (1989)Google Scholar
- 3.Kosiak, M., Kubicek, W.G., Olson, M., Danz, J.N., Kottke, F.J.: Evaluation of pressure as a factor in the production of ischial ulcers. Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 39, 623–629 (1958)Google Scholar
- 7.Bui, H.T., Lestriez, P., Pradon, D., Debray, K., Abdi, E., Taiar, R.: Biomechanical modeling of medical seat cushion and human buttock-tissue to prevent pressure ulcers. Russ. J. Biomech. 22, 37–47 (2018)Google Scholar
- 9.Norme, ISO: Wheelchair seating – Part 2: Determination of physical and mechanical characteristics of devices intended to manage tissue integrity – Seat cushions (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Zygote Media Group Inc.: 3D Human model (2012). http://www.3dscience.com/humanfactors/
- 11.Bui, H.T.: Modélisation et optimisation de l’assise d’un fauteuil roulant pour handicapés afin d’améliorer le confort du point de vue médical, Université de Reims, France (2018)Google Scholar