Evaluation of Persona-Based User Scenarios in Vehicle Development
This paper evaluates a first-time introduction of the persona-method in the vehicle dimensional layout conception. The goal of the study is to evaluate fictional scenarios with personas using the results of observations. Personas were created with regard to their attitudinal and behavioral patterns and geometrical properties were added. The personas were combined to scenarios of typical user situations. On several days over four weeks the number of passengers and the type and amount of luggage in a demand-responsive public transport system were recorded. The real-life persons were assigned to personas and compared with each other. As a result, two major scenarios (multi-use space, barrier-free accessibility) were identified. The scenarios concerning commuter traffic and room functionalities and atmosphere appeared less marked than presumed.
KeywordsAnalysis in public traffic Barrier-free accessibility Dimensional layout conception Passenger behavior Personas RAMSIS® User-centered vehicle development User-Scenario
The described research is part of the collaborative project “Reallabor Schorndorf” which is funded by the state of Baden-Württemberg. Sincere thanks are given to the donator on behalf of all involved project partners.
- 1.Baumann, K.: Personas as a user-centred design method for mobility-related services. Inf. Des. J. 18(2), 157–167 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Mayas, C., Hörold, S., Krömker, H.: Meeting the challenges of individual passenger information with personas. In: Stantin, N.A. (ed.) Advances in Human Aspects of Road and Rail Transportation, pp. 822–831. CRC Press, Boca Raton (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.König, A., Brandies, A., Schnieder, L., Dotzauer, M., Jipp, M.: Zukunftsszenarien autonomer Fahrzeuge – Nutzungsorientierte Gestaltung eines individuell abrufbaren Personentransportsystems. In: 5 interdisziplinärer Workshop kognitive Systeme, Bochum (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Müller, A., Beyer, S., Kopp, G., Deißer, O.: Nutzergerechte Fahrzeugentwicklung im ÖPNV mit erweiterter Persona-Methode. Karosseriebautage Hamburg. In: 16 ATZ-Fachtagung, 08–09 May 2018, Hamburg (2018)Google Scholar
- 6.Ludwig, J.N.: Absicherung eines neuartigen Interieur-Maßkonzeptes für ein Fahrzeug des ÖPNV. Bachelor thesis, Hochschule Esslingen, Fak. FZ (2017, unpublished)Google Scholar