Applying Human-Centered Design and Human-Machine Integration Techniques to Solve Key Healthcare Problems
While healthcare has been behind in applying human-centered design (HCD) principles to enhance service, the use of human-machine systems integration techniques in concert with HCD principles is even rarer. This paper describes the value any organization or team can derive at the confluence of these two techniques, especially in an era of Artificial and Augmented Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML), and outlines the unique model used by Thomas Jefferson University and Jefferson Health’s DICE (Digital Innovation & Consumer Experience) Group, that applies HCD thinking and human-machine integration to solve critical healthcare problems that need solving for the industry to evolve into one that is more focused on the patient and the patient experience and one that also leverages modern digital technologies such as AI, ML and the Internet of Things (IoT).
KeywordsHuman-centered design HCD Human-systems integration HSI Human-machine integration HMI Artificial intelligence AI Machine learning ML Augmented intelligence Healthcare Digital innovation Consumer experience Internet of Things IoT Systems engineering
We would like to acknowledge all of our patients who inspire us to develop digital and process solutions that improve lives; every member of our DICE Group who inspire us with their resolve; and our leadership, clinical and administrative staff, and board who actively support us in our endeavor to save lives and change the world.
- 1.Wolfe, L.N., Fontana, D.C., Lucas, J.M.: The Ultimate Computer [Episode 53]. In: Roddenberry, G. (eds.) Star Trek: The Original Series. National Broadcasting Company, New York (1968)Google Scholar
- 2.Clark, L.: Vinod Khosla: Machines will replace 80 percent of doctors. Wired UK, 4 September 2012. http://www.wired.co.uk/article/doctors-replaced-with-machines
- 3.Sweet, K: How the ATM changed the consumer-machine relationship. Star Bus. J., 21 September 2017. https://www.thestar.com/business/2017/09/21/how-the-atm-changed-the-human-machine-relationship.html
- 4.Wong, J.C.: ‘This is Awful’: Robot can keep children occupied for hours without supervision. The Guardian, 29 September 2016. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/29/ipal-robot-childcare-robobusiness-san-jose
- 5.Bulygo, Z.: How Netflix Uses Analytics to Select Movies, Create Content, and Make Multimillion Dollar Decisions. NeilPatel.com (2018). https://neilpatel.com/blog/how-netflix-uses-analytics/
- 6.Arndt, R.Z.: Transformation Summit 2018: Healthcare leaders say it’s time for innovative change, 13 June 2018. http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20180613/TRANSFORMATION02/180619969
- 7.Wikipedia: Human-centered Design (2018). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human-centered_design
- 8.Arieff, A.: Steelcase: Designing for the Human/Technology Tension (2016). https://www.steelcase.com/research/articles/topics/technology/designing-for-the-humantechnology-tension/
- 9.Yahoo Finance: Domino’s Historical Stock Prices (2018). https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/DPZ/history?p=DPZ
- 10.Taylor, B.: How Domino’s Pizza Reinvented Itself, 28 November 2016. https://hbr.org/2016/11/how-dominos-pizza-reinvented-itself