CSR in the Middle East: From Philanthropy to Modern CSR
Since the early 2000s, a number of significant developments have occurred in the field of corporate social responsibility (CSR). This chapter provides an overview of the evolution of CSR in the Middle East. It tracks the evolution of CSR in the Middle East from its philanthropic origins to its current practice. The chapter draws on a survey of business in Dubai to illustrate the practice of CSR in the Middle East.
KeywordsPhilanthropy Strategic philanthropy CSR Middle East Dubai
- Adebayo, M. B. (2008). Zakat: The neglected pillar, Al-Maslaha. Journal of Law and Religion, 4(2), 144–156.Google Scholar
- Ahmed, H. (2007, March 6–7). Waqf-based microfinance: Realizing the social role of Islamic finance. International Seminar on Integrating Awqaf in the Islamic Financial Sector, Singapore.Google Scholar
- Alkhalisi, Z. (2017, May 25). Arabs give billions to charity: It might be better spent, CNN money. http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/25/news/economy/gulf-arabs-philanthropy-charity/index.html
- CAF World Giving Index. (2016). https://www.cafonline.org/about-us/publications/2016-publications/caf-world-giving-index-2016
- Chapra, M. (1992). Islam and the economic challenge. Herndon: International Institute of Islamic Thought.Google Scholar
- Coutts. (2016). Middle East. http://philanthropy.coutts.com/en/reports/2016/middle-east-gcc/discussion.html#ttKKTZX6doJEQWat.99
- Doi, I. A. (1990). Shari’ah: The Islamic law. London: Ta’ha Publishers.Google Scholar
- El Khazzar, A., & Benfares, H. (2017). La pratique de la responsabilité sociétale dans les grandes entreprises: Cas de Tanger, Maroc/Corporate social responsibility practice among large companies: Studycase of Tangier, Morocco. International Journal of Innovation and Applied Studies, 19(3), 627.Google Scholar
- KPMG. (2017). The road ahead. The KPMG survey of corporate social responsibility reporting 2017. https://assets.kpmg.com/content/dam/kpmg/xx/pdf/2017/10/kpmg-survey-of-corporate-responsibility-reporting-2017.pdf
- Murphy, M. J., & Smolarski, J. M. (2018). Religion and CSR: An Islamic “political” model of corporate governance. Business & Society. https://doi.org/10.1177/0007650317749222.
- Rettab, B., Brik, B. A., & Mellahi, K. (2009). Corporate social responsibility and corporate governance in the United Arab Emirates. Dubai: Dubai Chamber Centre for Responsible Business.Google Scholar