Positive Unlabeled Link Prediction via Transfer Learning for Gene Network Reconstruction
Transfer learning can be employed to leverage knowledge from a source domain in order to better solve tasks in a target domain, where the available data is exiguous. While most of the previous papers work in the supervised setting, we study the more challenging case of positive-unlabeled transfer learning, where few positive labeled instances are available for both the source and the target domains. Specifically, we focus on the link prediction task on network data, where we consider known existing links as positive labeled data and all the possible remaining links as unlabeled data. In many real applications (e.g., in bioinformatics), this usually leads to few positive labeled data and a huge amount of unlabeled data. The transfer learning method proposed in this paper exploits the unlabeled data and the knowledge of a source network in order to improve the reconstruction of a target network. Experiments, conducted in the biological field, showed the effectiveness of the proposed approach with respect to the considered baselines, when exploiting the Mus Musculus gene network (source) to improve the reconstruction of the Homo Sapiens Sapiens gene network (target).
We would like to acknowledge the European project MAESTRA - Learning from Massive, Incompletely annotated, and Structured Data (ICT-2013-612944).
- 1.Platt, J.C.: Probabilistic outputs for support vector machine and comparisons to regularized likelihood methods. In: Advances in Large Margin Classifiers (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Dai, W., Yang, Q., Xue, G., Yu, Y.: Boosting for transfer learning. In: Proceedings of ICML, pp. 193–200 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Elkan, C., Noto, K.: Learning classifiers from only positive and unlabeled data. In: Proceedings of ACM SIGKDD, pp. 213–220 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Liu, B., Lee, W.S., Yu, P.S., Li, X.: Partially supervised classification of text documents. In: Proceedings of ICML, pp. 387–394 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Pan, S.J., Zheng, V.W., Yang, Q., Hu, D.H.: Transfer learning for wifi-based indoor localization. In: Workshop on Transfer Learning for Complex Task AAAI (2008)Google Scholar
- 16.Zhang, B., Zuo, W.: Learning from positive and unlabeled examples: a survey. In: ISIP/WMWA, pp. 650–654 (2008)Google Scholar