Impact of Security Aspects at the IOTA Protocol
This paper presents an impact of security aspects at the IOTA protocol. Based on the different usage of computational resources and the difficulty of the selected Proof of Work (PoW) algorithms have been explored the consequences in the final behavior of the IOTA network and the throughput of the protocol implementation. The main feature of the IOTA is the tangle which is the name for the directed acyclic graph (DAG). This graph is highly responsible for persisting transactions in the network. The goal of this network is to provide peer-to-peer communication between machines, humans and as well for the Internet of Things (IoT) industry.
KeywordsIOTA Proof of work Performance Security IoT
The following grants are acknowledged for the financial support provided for this research by Grant of SGS No. 2018/177, VSB-Technical University of Ostrava and under the support of NAVY and MERLIN research lab.
- 1.IOTA Foundation. https://www.iota.org
- 2.Popov, S.: The Tangle. https://assets.ctfassets.net/r1dr6vzfxhev/2t4uxvsIqk0EUau6g2sw0g/45eae33637ca92f85dd9f4a3a218e1ec/iota1_4_3.pdf. Accessed 26 June 2018
- 3.Hashcash.org: Hashcash proof-of-work paper. http://www.hashcash.org/papers/proof-work.pdf. Accessed 2 July 2018
- 4.Mobilefish. https://www.mobilefish.com. Accessed 2 July 2018
- 5.IOTA documentation. https://docs.iota.org. Accessed 2 July 2018
- 6.Gershon, E.: New Qubit control bodes well for future of quantum computing. Phys.org. Accessed 26 Oct 2014Google Scholar
- 7.Simon, D.R.: On the power of quantum computation. In: Proceedings of 35th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 116–123. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.655.4355 Freely accessible (1994). https://doi.org/10.1109/SFCS.1994.365701. ISBN 0-8186-6580-7
- 8.Buchmann, J., Dahmen, E., Ereth, S., Hülsing, A., Rückert, M.: On the Security of the Winternitz one-time signature scheme. In: Nitaj, A., Pointcheval, D. (eds.) Progress in Cryptology - AFRICACRYPT 2011. AFRICACRYPT 2011. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 6737. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)Google Scholar