New Approaches to Discrete Modeling of Natural Neural Networks
A discrete model of multitransmitter interactions between neurons in a common extracellular space (ECS) is proposed. Neurons in the model are heterogeneous in three different senses. They differ in (i) the type of endogenous change in the membrane potential, (ii) the type of secreted neurotransmitter, and (iii) the set of receptors, wherein each receptor is sensitive to a particular neurotransmitter. The model is characterized by the broadcast nature transmission of the signals: the neurotransmitter appeared in the ECS is treated as an input signal for all neurons with receptors sensitive to it. It is shown that the extrasynaptic interaction of neurons combined with multitransmitter environment enables to reproduce the rhythms generated by simple natural neural networks.
KeywordsDiscrete model of natural neural network Chemical interactions Neurotransmitters Endogenous activity
- 5.Dyakonova, V.: Neurotransmitternye mechanismy context-zavisimogo povedenija. Zh. Vyssh. Nerv. Deyat. 62(6), 1–17 (2012). (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 6.Sakharov, D.: Biologicheskij substrat generatsii povedencheskih actov. Zh. Obsch. Biol. 73(5), 334–348 (2012). (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 9.Sakharov, D.: The multiplicity of neurotransmitters: the functional significance. Zh. Evol. Biokhim. Fiziol. 26(5), 733–741 (1990). (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 12.Bazenkov, N., Vorontsov, D., Dyakonova, V., Zhilyakova, L., Zakharov, I., Kuznetsov, O., Kulivets, S., Sakharov, D.: Discrete modeling of inter-neuron interactions in multitransmitters networks. Iskusstvenny Intellekt i Prinyatie Reshenii [Artif. Intell. Decis. Mak.] 2, 55–73 (2017)Google Scholar
- 13.Bazenkov, N., Dyakonova, V., Kuznetsov, O., Sakharov, D., Vorontsov, D., Zhilyakova, L.: Discrete modeling of multi-transmitter neural networks with neuronal competition. In: Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures (BICA) for Young Scientists. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, vol. 636, pp. 10–16. Springer International Publishing AG (2018)Google Scholar