Contribution of e-Documentation to Technical Rescue Works and Conservation of the Mural Painting of the Dome of Blessed Ladislaus’ Chapel in St. Anne’s Church in Warsaw
The paper presents the application of various 3D imagining methods to study the state of the mural painting in the dome of Blessed Ladislaus’ Chapel of St. Anne’s Church in Warsaw. The temple was built on the embankment of the Vistula river in the XV-th century. The chapel was added to the nave in the XVII-th century. From the beginning this location of the church caused a lot of structural problems. The church stability was disturbed due to digging an underground tunnel nearby in the years 1947–49. The Ladislaus’ Chapel, situated close to the tunnel on the side of the escarpment was the most endangered. The current rescue work of the mural painting of the chapel dome required an accurate measurement and inventory of the architectural structure. The dome was measured using various methods: laser scanning and photogrammetry. As a result we obtained 4 models of the chapel dome, which could be combined and compared.
KeywordsLaser scanning Digital photogrammetry St. Anne’s Church in Warsaw
Authors wish to express thanks to Maria Pokorna MA in Conservation and Restoration of Art, conducting of the conservation project and to M.Sc.Eng. Grzegorz Osowicki, responsible for the technical works on the church construction. The works presented were supported by the Polish Ministry of Culture and Heritage.
- 1.Kaczmarzyk, D.: Kościół Św. Anny, Warsaw: PWN, pp. 204–221 (1984). (in Polish)Google Scholar
- 2.Malarski, R., Nagórski, K.: Inventory of cracks and determination of variations of their width in monumental objects, Przegląd Geodezyjny, Nr 5, pp. 39–44 (2013). (in Polish)Google Scholar
- 3.Górecka, K.: Technical rescue works on the construction of the Saint Anne’s church in Warsaw as an opportunity to study the technique, technology and iconography of the XVIII-th century mural paintings. Eur. J. Sci. Theol. 12(3), 233–242 (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.Regard3D. http://www.regard3d.org/. Accessed 21 May 2018
- 5.Agisoft. http://www.agisoft.com/. Accessed 21 May 2018
- 6.Michon, G.P.: Final Answers. Formulae for Spheroids & Scalene Ellipsoids. http://www.numericana.com/answer/ellipsoid.htm#ellipsoid. Accessed 21 May 2018
- 7.Cloud Compare. http://www.danielgm.net/cc/