Visual Representations for Music Understanding Improvement
Classical music appreciation is non trivial. Visual representation can aid music teaching and learning processes. In this sense, we propose a set of visual representations based on musical notes features, such as: note type, octave, velocity and timbre. In our system, the visual elements appear along with their corresponding musical elements, in order to improve the perception of musical structures. The visual representations we use to enhance the comprehension of a composition could be extended to performing arts scenarios. It could be adopted as motion graphics during live musical performances. We have developed several videos to illustrate our method. We have also developed an ear training quiz and a research questionnaire. This material is available at http://www.impa.br/~vitorgr/VLMU/home.html.
KeywordsMusic visualization Geometric shapes Pedagogy and music education
The authors would like to thank the following institutions for their support: Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES), and finally Instituto Nacional Casa da Moeda (Portugal).
- Bergstrom, T., Karahalios, K., Hart, J.: Isochords: visualizing structure in music. In: Proceedings of Graphics Interface 2007 (GI 2007), pp. 297–304. ACM, New York (2007). https://doi.org/10.1145/1268517.1268565
- Brougher, K., Strick, J., Wiseman, A., Zilczer, J.: Visual Music: Synaesthesia in Art and Music Since 1900. Thames & Hudson, London (2005)Google Scholar
- Ciuha, P., Klemenc, B., Solina, F.: Visualization of concurrent tones in music with colors. In: Proceedings of the 18th ACM International Conference on Multimedia (MM 2010), pp. 1677–1680. ACM, New York (2010). https://doi.org/10.1145/1873951.1874320
- Gardner, R.: Music Notation: A Manual of Modern Practice. Allyn & Bacon, Boston (1964)Google Scholar
- Miyazaki, R., Fujishiro, I., Hiraga, R.: Exploring MIDI datasets. In: ACM SIGGRAPH 2003 Sketches & Applications (SIGGRAPH 2003), p. 1. ACM, New York (2003). https://doi.org/10.1145/965400.965453
- Sapp, C.: Harmonic visualizations of tonal music. In: Proceedings of International Computer Music Conference, Havana, Cuba, pp. 423–430 (2003)Google Scholar