Introduction: The Foreign Correspondent and Journalism Today
This introduction chapter explains the need for The Future Foreign Correspondent book, and how it was inspired through lessons and challenges experienced from the Foreign Correspondent Study Tour (FCST). It briefly explains the concept of the book as a volume that speaks to the future foreign correspondent, examining how they might take an important place in the future of journalism, and crucially, steps that could be taken to train them. It outlines the book highlighting the need to consider more abstract issues and concepts relating to the practice of foreign reporting.
KeywordsForeign correspondent Fake news Future of journalism
- Borovik, A. (2001). The Hidden Way: A Russian Journalist’s Account of the Soviet War in Afghanistan. New York: Grove Press.Google Scholar
- Dahlby, T. (2014). Into the Field: A Foreign Correspondent’s Notebook. Texas: University of Texas Press.Google Scholar
- Filkins, D. (2009). The Forever War. New York: Vintage.Google Scholar
- Gellhorn, M. (1994). The Face of War. New York: Atlantic Monthly Press.Google Scholar
- Greenway, H. D. S. (2014). Foreign Correspondent: A Memoir. New York: Simon & Schuster.Google Scholar
- Lacey, M. (2017, June 14). What’s the Difference Between a Reporter and a Correspondent? The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/14/insider/whats-the-difference-between-a-reporter-and-a-correspondent.html. Accessed 2 June 2018.
- Lecompte, C. (2015, September 2). From Nieman Reports: From Earnings Reports to Baseball Recaps, Automation and Algorithms Are Becoming a Bigger Part of the News. Nieman Lab. http://www.niemanlab.org/2015/09/from-nieman-reports-from-earnings-reports-to-baseball-recaps-automation-and-algorithms-are-becoming-a-bigger-part-of-the-news/. Accessed 22 May 2018.
- Miller, A. (1953). The Crucible. New York: Viking Press.Google Scholar
- Newman, N., Fletcher, R., Kalogeropoulos, A., Levy, D. A. L., & Nielsen, R. K. (2017). Reuters Institute Digital News Report 2017. Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism. https://reutersinstitute.politics.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/Digital%20News%20Report%202017%20web_0.pdf?utm_source=digitalnewsreport.org&utm_medium=referral. Accessed 16 May 2018.
- Reuters. (2018). Journalist Faked His Own Death Using Pig’s Blood and Make-Up Artist. https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/journalist-faked-his-own-death-using-pig-s-blood-and-make-up-artist-20180601-p4ziry.html. Accessed 1 June 2018.
- Stecula, D. (2017, July 27). The Real Consequences of Fake News. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/the-real-consequences-of-fake-news-81179. Accessed 28 May 2018.
- Williams, K. (2011). International Journalism. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Williams, M. (2018, June 2). Ukraine’s Credibility Under Scrutiny Over Faked Murder. Sydney Morning Herald. https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/ukraine-s-credibility-under-scrutiny-over-faked-murder-20180602-p4zj3j.html. Accessed 26 May 2018.