Mechanical Instability of Sandy Soils Under Seismic Effect (Algeria)
The aim of this work was to study the saturated sand behavior under seismic effects which are stressed with several seismic vibrations and a reproduced seismic shaking frequency. The external excitation was operated by regular horizontal oscillations with controlled frequency and amplitude. The liquefaction had then a direct impact on the vertical displacement of intruders. We concluded that the movement of the intruder depends on the imposed acceleration and the relative density.
KeywordsSaturated sand Seismic shaking Frequency Vertical displacement Acceleration
- 1.Bousmaha, M., Missoum, H., Bendani, K., Derkaoui, M., Belhouari, F.: Experimental study on mechanical instability of sand-silt mixtures. Int. J. Appl. Eng. Res 11(3), 2149–2156. ISSN 0973-4562 (2016)Google Scholar
- 2.Clément, C., Toussaint, R., Stojanova, M., Aharonov, E.: Sinking during earthquakes: critical acceleration criteria control drained soil liquefaction. Phys. Rev. E 97, 022905. https://doi.org/10.1103/physreve.97.022905 (2018)
- 3.Ladd, R.S.: Specimen preparation and liquefaction of sands. J. Geotech. Eng. ASCE 100(GT10), 1180–1184 (1974)Google Scholar
- 4.Sanchez-Colina, G., Alonso-Llanes, L., Martinez, E., Batista-Leyva, A.J., Clément, C., Fliedner, C., Toussaint, R., Altshuler, E.: Note: «lock-in accelerometry» to follow sink dynamics in shaken granular matter. Rev. Sci. Instrum. 85(12), 126101 (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Toussaint, R., Clément, C., Fliedner, C., Stojanova, M., Aharonov, E., Sanchez-Colina, G.E., Altshuler, A., Batista-Leyva, J., Flekkøy, E.G.: Sink vs. tilt penetration into shaken dry granular matter: the role foundation. Geophys. Res. Abstr. 16 EGU2014, 12539 (2014)Google Scholar