There is a growing distance between citizens and their governments and the European Union this has led to a decline in voter turnout, a shrink in membership of political parties and a loss of interest in politics in general, especially by young people. e-Participation is one of the “antidote” to this public discontent, to regain citizens’ trust and revitalise European democracy.
e-Participation in Europe, e-Participation in the United Nations vision, and Direct Democracy.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lironi E (2016) Potential and challenges of e-participation in the European Union, European Union. http://www.europarl.europa.eu/supporting-analyses
- 2.Bruno E (2015) Co-deciding with citizens: towards digital democracy at EU level. ECAS Publications. http://www.ecas.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/ECAS-Publication-online-version.pdf, last accessed December 2017
- 3.Clarke A (2013) Exploiting the web as a tool of democracy: new ways forward in the study and practice of digital democracy. World Forum for Democracy 2013 Issues Paper, Council of Europe, StrasbourgGoogle Scholar
- 4.Davies R (2015) e-Government: using technology to improve public services and democratic participation. EPRS | European Parliamentary Research Service. doi:10.2861/150280, ISBN 978-92-823-6814-5Google Scholar
- 5.Federal Constitution of the Swiss Confederation, The Federal Council (of 18 April 1999). https://www.admin.ch/opc/en/classified-compilation/19995395/index.html, last accessed December 2017
- 6.OECD (2003) Promise and problems of e-democracy: challenges of online citizen engagement. OECD. http://www.oecd.org/gov/digital-government/35176328.pdf, last accessed December 2017
- 7.OECD (2007) Principles for private sector participation in infrastructure. OECD. http://www.oecd.org/daf/inv/investment-policy/38309896.pdf, last accessed December 2017
- 8.TNS Political & Social (2013) European youth: participation in democratic life, Flash Eurobarometer 375, http://ec.europa.eu/commfrontoffice/publicopinion/flash/fl_375_en.pdf, last accessed February 2019
- 9.United Nations (2013) United Nations empowerment and e-participation: policy recommendations. http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/egms/docs/2013/ict/RutjensJacqueline.pdf, last accessed December 2017