Frequency Ratio Model for Mapping Groundwater Potential Zones Using GIS and Remote Sensing; Medjerda Watershed Tunisia

  • Fatma TrabelsiEmail author
  • Saro Lee
  • Slaheddine Khlifi
  • Achouak Arfaoui
Conference paper
Part of the Advances in Science, Technology & Innovation book series (ASTI)


Groundwater potential mapping and its sustainable development are an important aspect in the Lower Valley of Medjerda (LVM) river sub-basin due to increased water demand for irrigation and domestic use. The main goal of this study is to investigate the application of the probabilistic-based frequency ratio (FR) model in groundwater potential mapping at LVM river in Tunisia using GIS. This study includes the analysis of the spatial relationships between Transmissivity and various hydrological conditioning factors such as elevation, slope, curvature, river, lineament, geology, soil, rainfall, and land use. Eighteen groundwater-related factors were collected and extracted from topographic data, geological data, satellite imagery, and published maps. About 60 groundwater data of transmissivity were randomly split into a training dataset, 70% was used for training the model and the remaining 30% for validation purposes. Finally, the FR coefficients of the hydrological factors were used to generate the groundwater potential map. It was classified into five zones as very high, high, moderate, low, and very low. This information could be used by water decision makers as a guide for groundwater exploration and assessment in the LVM River.


Groundwater potential map Frequency ratio GIS Medjerda Tunisia 



This research (NRF-2016K1A3A1A09915721) was supported by Science and Technology Internationalization Project through National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) grant funded by the Korean Ministry of Science and ICT and Tunisian Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research.


  1. 1.
    Adiat, K., Nawawi, M., Abdullah, K.: Assessing the accuracy of GIS-based elementary multi criteria decision analysis as a spatial prediction tool—a case of predicting potential zones of sustainable. groundwater resources. J. Hydrol. 440, 75–89 (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  2. 2.
    Jenks, G.F.: The data model concept in statistical mapping. Int. Yearb. Cartography 7, 186–190 (1967)Google Scholar
  3. 3.
    Lee, S., Kim, Y.S., Oh, H.J.: Application of a weights-of-evidence method and GIS to regional groundwater productivity potential mapping. Environ. Manage. 96(1), 91–105 (2012)Google Scholar
  4. 4.
    Lee, S., Pradhan, B.: Landslide hazard mapping at Selangor, Malaysia using frequency ratio and logistic regression models. Landslides 4, 33–41 (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  5. 5.
    Manap, M.A., Nampak, H., Pradhan, B., Lee, S., Sulaiman, W.N.A., Ramli, M.F.: Application of probabilistic-based frequency ratio model in groundwater potential mapping using remote sensing data and GIS. Arab. J. Geosci. 7, 711–724 (2014)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  6. 6.
    Oh, H.J., Kim, Y.S., Choi, J.K., Park, E., Lee, S.: GIS mapping of regional probabilistic groundwater potential in the area of Pohang City, Korea. J. Hydrol. 399, 158–172 (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019

Authors and Affiliations

  • Fatma Trabelsi
    • 1
    Email author
  • Saro Lee
    • 2
  • Slaheddine Khlifi
    • 1
  • Achouak Arfaoui
    • 1
  1. 1.RU-Sustainable Management of Water and Soil ResourcesHigher School of Engineers of Medjez El Bab (ESIM)_University of JendoubaMedjez El BabTunisia
  2. 2.Geological Research DivisionKorea Institutes of Geoscience & Mineral Resources (KIGAM)DaejeonRepublic of Korea

Personalised recommendations