Geochemical Classification of Groundwater System in a Rural Area of Nigeria
- 113 Downloads
The characteristics of the groundwater system in Iresa-Apa, Oyo state, Nigeria, were studied using the Piper linear approach. Twenty-four water samples were randomly collected to cover the area of study. The analyzed cations from the samples are Mg2+, Na+, K+, and Ca2+, while the anions are CO32−, HCO3−, SO42−, and Cl−. The three hydrochemical facies identified are Ca–Mg–Na, Ca–Mg–Na–SO4, and Na–K–Cl–SO4 types. The similarities in the observed water types suggest that almost the same geochemical processes are controlling the cation-anion reaction of the groundwater system in the study area.
KeywordsGeochemical Groundwater classification Hydrochemical facies Iresa-Apa Cations and anions
We appreciate the conference support received from Covenant University, Nigeria.
- 1.Adagunodo, T.A.: Groundwater Pollution and Control: An Overview. Chapter 1 in Book: Groundwater Contamination: Performance, Limitations and Impacts, pp. 1–135. ISBN: 978-1-153611-017-3; 978-1-53611-003-6. Editor: Anna L. Powell © 2017 Nova Science Publishers, Inc. pp. 1–12 (2017a)Google Scholar
- 2.Adagunodo, T.A.: Groundwater Contamination: Performance, Effects, Limitations and Control. Chapter 3 in Book: Groundwater Contamination: Performance, Limitations and Impacts, pp. 1–135. ISBN: 978-1-153611-017-3; 978-1-53611-003-6. Editor: Anna L. Powell © 2017 Nova Science Publishers, Inc. pp. 33–64 (2017b)Google Scholar
- 3.Adagunodo, T.A., Akinloye, M.K., Sunmonu, L.A., Aizebeokhai, A.P., Oyeyemi, K.D., Abodunrin, F.O.: Groundwater exploration in Aaba residential area of Akure, Nigeria. Front. Earth Sci. 6, 66 (2018). https://doi.org/10.3389/feart.2018.00066
- 5.Adejumo, R.O., Adagunodo, T.A., Bility, H., Lukman, A.F., Isibor, P.O.: Physicochemical constituents of groundwater and its quality in crystalline bedrock, Nigeria. Int. J. Civ. Eng. Technol. 9(8), 887–903 (2018)Google Scholar
- 6.APHA: Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater. American Public Health Association, Washington DC (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Offodile, M.E.: The occurrence and exploitation of groundwater in Nigeria Basement rocks. Journal of Mining and Geology 20, 131–146 (1983)Google Scholar
- 12.WHO: Guidelines for Drinking-Water Quality. First Addendum to 3rd edn. Recommendations. World Health Organization, Geneva (2004)Google Scholar