Characterizing Pandanallur Fractured Basement Reservoir: A G and G Enigma
- 529 Downloads
Fractured basement reservoirs are challenging to model due to the complexity of processes involved in the generation and preservation of the fracture network as well as the heterogeneity of the host rock. The Pandanallur basement, a predominantly granite gneiss fractured reservoir, exhibits wide scale vertical and lateral heterogeneity of fracture patterns and stress parameters, which has a bearing on migration and the accumulation of hydrocarbons and fluid flow potential. The best way to characterize such unconventional reservoirs is through an integrated approach combining fracture intensity and network modeling with inputs from petrophysical, kinematic and geo-mechanical analyses. The synergetic integration adapted for the Pandanallur basement reservoir has been able to characterize the potential flow contributing fractures and reduced economic risks by optimizing new well targets.
KeywordsDrilling induced tensile fractures Borehole breakout Ant track Fracture intensity
Authors express their sincere gratitude to ONGC for kind permission to publish this paper. Views expressed in the paper are those of authors only and not of ONGC.
- 1.Johri, M., Zoback, M.D., Hennings, P.: Observations of Fault Damage Zones at Reservoir Depths, pp. 11–446. ARMA (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Kashyap, P., Haritha, M., Subrahmanyam, O., Vema, J., Ganesh, N., Ayyadurai, M., Josyulu, B.S.: Delineation of Basement fracture pattern in Madanam-Pandanallur area of Cauvery basin. In: 10th Biennial International Conference & Exposition. SPG India, Kochi (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Mazumder, S., Tep, B., Pangtey, K.K.S.: A Remote Sensing and GIS Based Integrated Approach for Identifying Promising Areas for Basement Exploration in Cauvery Basin. SPG India, Jaipur (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Mukherjee, S.K., Sarkar, J., Kadam Kanchan, N., Rao, S.C., Chitnis, S.N.: Granitic basement reservoir fracture modelling, challenges and its mitigation: a case study from Khoraghat field, Assam. In: 4th SPWLA India Symposium (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.Sivan,P., Nidhi: High resolution geochemical characterization of oils from Basement fields. Cauvery Basin, KDMIPE, ONGC Report unpublished (2017)Google Scholar