Stratigraphic Differentiation of the Zagros Foreland Basin Sequence, Kurdistan Region, (Northern Iraq): Impacts on Oil Accumulations
Field examinations of surface and subsurface stratigraphic data from 50 localities and wells from NE Iraq are used to revise and differentiate the Arabian margin sequence and Zagros foreland basin evolution. The stratigraphic arrangement of megasequences AP9, AP10, and AP11 of the Arabian plate stratigraphy is revised and chronostratigraphically correlated across the different parts of the basin. Their bounding surfaces are revised according to regional extent unconformities and associated hiatuses. Backstripping analysis is attempted to support stratigraphic differentiation.
KeywordsZagros Iraq Sequence Cretaceous Tertiary Stratigraphy Arabian margin
- 1.Al-Qayim, B., Omer, A., Koyi, H.: Tectonostratigraphic overview of the Zagros Suture Zone, Kurdistan Region, Northeast Iraq. In: GeoArabia, vol. 17, pp. 109–156 (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Jassim, S.Z., Goff, T.: Phanerozoic development of the Northern Arabian plate. In: Jassim, S.Z., Goff, J.C. (eds.) Geology of Iraq. Dolin, Prague and Moravian Museum, Brno, 341 p. (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Sharland, P.R., Archer, R., Casey, D.M., Davies, R.B., Hall, S.H., Heward, A.P., Horbury, A.D., Simmons, M.D.: Arabian plate sequence stratigraphy, GeoArabia Special Publication 2, Gulf PetroLink, Bahrain, 371 p., with 3 charts (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Al-Qayim, B.: Evolution of flysch basin along the Northeastern margin of the Arabian plate. In: Abed and Others (Eds.) Geology of Jordan and Adjacent Areas. (Geocome III), Amman, pp. 347–372 (1994)Google Scholar
- 6.Al-Qayim, B.: Sag-Interior Oligocene Basin of North-central Iraq: Sequence Stratigraphy and Basin Overview. GEO 2006 Middle East Conference and Exhibition, Bahrain, Abstract book (2006)Google Scholar