Gravel Bed River Scouring Analysis Downstream of Block Ramps
- 440 Downloads
The paper describes the scouring process of a river bed downstream of block ramp hydraulic structures. The scour depth of the river bed downstream of the block ramps was calculated by using several different empirical formulae from the literature. The calculated results were verified with the measured results collected during the field measurements. The current paper presents the most appropriate formulae for the comparison of the scouring results with the obtained field measurements. It was found that the calculated values of scouring are usually much higher than those observed in the field. The most important aim of this paper is to verify the obtained empirical formulae for scouring downstream of block ramps based on the results of the field measurements.
KeywordsBed erosion Bed scour Empirical formulae Block ramp
- 2.Pagliara, S., Radecki-Pawlik, A., Palermo, M., Plesiński, K.: A Preliminary Study of field scour morphology downstream of block ramps located at river bends. [in:] Bung, D., Tullis, B. (eds.) 7th IAHR International Symposium on Hydraulic Structures, Aachen, Germany, 15–18 May 2018, Utah State University, https://doi.org/10.15142/T39352.
- 3.Plesiński, K., Pachla, F., Radecki-Pawlik, A., Tatara, T., Radecki-Pawlik, B.: Numerical 2D simulation of morphological phenomena of a block ramp in Poniczanka stream: Polish Carpathians [in:] Bung, D., Tullis, B. (eds.) 7th IAHR International Symposium on Hydraulic Structures, Aachen, Germany, 15–18 May 2018, Utah State University, https://doi.org/10.15142/T31M17.
- 4.Plesiński, K., Radecki-Pawlik, A., Wyżga, B.: Sediment Transport Processes Related to the Operation of a Rapid Hydraulic Structure (Boulder Ramp) in a Mountain Stream Channel: A Polish Carpathian Example [in:] Heininger, P., Cullmann, J. (eds.) Sediment Metters, : 39–58. Springer, Koblenz (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Dąbkowski, S.L., Skibiński, J., Żbikowski, A.: The hydraulic bases of water-reclamation projects. PWRiL, Warszaw [in Polish] (1982)Google Scholar
- 9.Sindelar, C.: Design of a Meandering Ramp, Ph.D. Thesis, Technische Universität Graz (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Ślizowski, R.: Increased roughness Rapids as an element used for stabilization of mountains streams. Prace Komisji Geodezji i Inżynierii Środowiska. PAN. Krakow (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Ślizowski, R., Radecki-Pawlik, A.: Verification of formulae for calculating scour below hydraulic structure using labolatory results. Acta Scientiarum Polonorum: Formatio Circumiectus 2(2), 25–34 [in Polish] (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Zástěra, Z.: Block ramps. Hydroprojekt O.Z., Rezortni Ukol R-4, Brno [in Czech] (1984)Google Scholar