Africa suffers from outcomes related to climate change. There is a need for the continent to adapt and become more resilient despite the numerous challenges it faces. This chapter summarizes the impact of climate change in Africa and barriers that affect Africa’s response to climate change.
KeywordsClimate change Africa Resiliency and adaptation Indigenous knowledge systems
- African Union. (2018). Member state profiles. Retrieved from https://au.int/en/memberstates
- Kroner, et al. (2018). Africa Continent. Encyclopedia Britannica. Retrieved from https://www.britannica.com/place/Africa
- Niang, I., Ruppel, O. C., Abdrabo, M. A., Essel, A., Lennard, C., Padgham, J., et al. (2014). Africa. In V. R. Barros et al. (Eds.), Climate change 2014: Impacts, adaptation, and vulnerability. Part B: Regional aspects. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (pp. 1199–1265). Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Toulmin, C. (2009). Climate change in Africa. London and New York: Zed Books.Google Scholar
- World Atlas. (2018). How many countries are there in Africa? Retrieved from https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/how-many-countries-are-in-africa.html
- World Health Organization. (2018). Climate change. Retrieved from http://www.afro.who.int/health-topics/climate-change