The Polls in 2017
Will Jennings examines the opinion polls in the 2017 election, showing how they tracked movements in voting intentions during the campaign, but also how most of them under-estimated the Labour vote on polling day, suggesting a comfortable Conservative victory when the election ended in producing no overall majority. He also notes YouGov’s successful innovation in using a multilevel regression post-stratification model to make detailed constituency projections of the result, which did predict a hung parliament. He further examines both the campaign trends and the performance of the polls into their historical perspective, finding that it is not true that the polls are getting “worse” at predicting election results, as well as discussing the impact of the pollsters’ turnout corrections on their accuracy in 2017.
KeywordsOpinion polls Election prediction Voting behaviour
- Coates, S. (2017, May 31). Poll firm predicts shock losses for Theresa May’s Tories at general election. The Times. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/latest-general-election-poll-predicts-conservatives-will-lose-seats-02zfwl8lc.
- Green, J., & Jennings, W. (2017). The politics of competence: Parties, public opinion and voters. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Hawkes, S. (2017, April 28). End for the reds: Labour heads for its worst election in 86 years as Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership and UKIP collapse hands Tories prized seats. The Sun. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3368305/labour-heads-for-its-worst-election-in-86-years-as-jeremy-corbyns-leadership-and-ukip-collapse-hands-tories-prized-seats/.
- Lauderdale, B., & Rivers, D. (2017, June 9). UK election: The day after. YouGov Blog. https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/06/09/the-day-after/.
- Sturgis, P., & Jennings, W. (2017, June 4). ‘Will turnout weighting prove to be the pollsters’ Achilles heel in #GE2017? Sotonpolitics blog. https://sotonpolitics.org/2017/06/04/will-turnout-weighting-prove-to-be-the-pollsters-achilles-heel-in-ge2017/.
- Sturgis, P., Baker, N., Callegaro, M., Fisher, S., Green, J., Jennings, W., et al. (2016). Report of the inquiry into the 2015 British general election opinion polls. London: Market Research Society and British Polling Council.Google Scholar
- Wlezien, C., Jennings, W., Fisher, S., Ford, R., & Pickup, M. (2013). Polls and the vote in Britain. Political Studies, 61(S1), 129–154.Google Scholar