“What Can I Do?”: A Guide for Academics Who (Want to) Support Palestine
This paper uses an anti-colonial lens to examine zionism, the situation in Palestine, and Palestine solidarity in the academy. It is written for anti-colonial and anti-racist academics interested in pragmatic approaches to support Palestinians in their struggle for liberation and self-determination.
- Adorno, T., & Horkheimer, M. (1979). The Dialectic of Enlightenment. New York: Verso.Google Scholar
- Bakan, A. B., & Abu-Laban, Y. (2009). Palestinian Resistance and International Solidarity: The BDS Campaign. Sage Journals, 51(1), 29–54.Google Scholar
- Barham, A. (2009). PACBI-Address to the UCU Congress by Amjad Barham, President, the Palestinian Federation of Unions of University Professors and Employees (PFUUPE).Google Scholar
- Davis, U., & Mezvinsky, N. (1975). Documents from Israel, 1967–1973: Readings for a Critique of Zionism. London: Ithaca Press.Google Scholar
- Dawson, A., & Mullen, B. V. (2015). Against Apartheid: The Case for Boycotting Israeli Universities. Chicago: Haymarket Books.Google Scholar
- Dei, G. J. S. (2014). Personal Reflections on Anti-racism Education for a Global Context. Encounters on Education, 15, 239–249.Google Scholar
- Dei, G. J. S. (2015). Decolonizing the University Curriculum. Social Studies, 10(2).Google Scholar
- Dei, G. J. S., & Asgharzadeh, A. (2001). The Power of Social Theory: The Anti-colonial Discursive Framework. Journal of Educational Thought, 35(3), 297–323.Google Scholar
- Flynn, K. (2013). Shackling the Scholar: Israel’s Administrative Detention of Palestinian Students. http://mondoweiss.net/2013/05/administrative-detention-palestinian/. Accessed 18 November 2016.
- Herzl, T., & Levensohn, L. (1997). Old New Land. Princeton: Markus Weiner Publishers.Google Scholar
- Jacobson, W. A. (2014). University Statements Rejecting Academic Boycott of Israel. http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/12/indiana-wash-u-st-louis-gwu-northwestern-cornell-reject-academic-boycott-of-israel/. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- Kapitan, R. (2013). On Myths, Straw Men and Academic Freedom: A Response to the “Readers Respond” section of the AAUP Journal of Academic Freedom, 4.Google Scholar
- Legal, P. (2012). The Palestine Exception to Free Speech: A Movement Under Attack in the US.Google Scholar
- Mallett-Outtrim, R. (2015). Israel Backers Accused of ‘Stifling Dissent’ in US Universities. http://www.telesurtv.net/english/analysis/Israel-Backers-Accused-of-Stifling-Dissent-in-US-Universities-20150930-0011.html. Accessed 19 November 2016.
- Massad, J. A. (2006). The Persistence of the Palestinian Question: Essays on Zionism and the Palestinians. New York, NY: Routledge.Google Scholar
- PACBI-American Anthropological Association (AAA). (2015). Conference Passes BDS Resolution with a Whopping 88% Majority. http://www.pacbi.org/etemplate.php?id=2765.
- Pappé, I. (2006). The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine. Oxford: Oneworld.Google Scholar
- Rousseau, J., & Starobinski, J. (1988). Transparency and Obstruction. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Said, E. W. (1978). Orientalism. New York: Pantheon Books.Google Scholar
- Said, E. (1992). The Question of Palestine. New York: Vintage Books. Google Scholar
- Sarick, L. (2015). Has the BDS Movement Been Effective? The Canadian Jewish News. http://www.cjnews.com/living-jewish/jewish-learning/feature-bds-movement-effective. Accessed 18 November 2016.
- Schoenman, R. (1988). The Hidden History of Zionism. Santa Barbara: Veritas Press.Google Scholar
- Scott, J. W. (2013). Changing My Mind About the Boycott. https://www.aaup.org/sites/default/files/files/JAF/2013JAF/Scott.pdf. Accessed 18 November 2016.
- Smith, L. T. (1999). Decolonizing Methodologies: Research and Inidigenous Peoples. London: Zed Books.Google Scholar
- Tuck, E., & Yang, K. W. (2014b). R-Words: Refusing Research. In D. Paris & M. T. Winn (Eds.), Humanizing Research: Decolonizing Qualitative Inquiry with Youth and Communities (pp. 223–247). Los Angeles: Sage.Google Scholar
- Zahriyeh, E. (2015). Report: Anti-semitism Charges Used to Curb Pro-Palestinian Campus Speech. http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/9/30/anti-semitism-claims-used-to-crush-pro-palestinian-speech-on-campuses.html. Accessed 18 November 2016.