Error Detection Technique for A Median Filter Using Denoising Algorithm
This paper presents a modified design for error detection technique for a median filter, while processing the images using a digital processing system, acquisition stage capture impulsive noises along with the images. A classic filter used to eliminate. Some sliding windows of n × n matrices are created from the original image. The generated median is compared with the original pixel value at the center of the selected portion of the matrix corresponding to the image. If we found any error then the new median value is placed instead of the existing one. For storing the pixel values, a line buffer and register bank are used along with the median filter. Using the buffers the time taken for the median calculation is reduced, and as a result the total time taken for processing the image is also reduced.
KeywordsMedian filter SRAM-based FPGA Single event upset Line buffers
- 1.Aranda LA, Reviriego P, Maestro JA. Error detection technique for a median filterGoogle Scholar
- 2.Fahmy SA, Cheung PYK, Luk W (2005) Novel FPGA-based implementation of median and weighted median filters for image processing. In: International conference on field programmable logic and applications, Tampere, Finland, pp. 142–147Google Scholar
- 3.Batcher KE (1968) Sorting networks and their applications. In: AFIPS spring joint computing conference, San Francisco, CA, pp. 307–314Google Scholar
- 4.Vasicek Z, Sekanina L (2008) Novel hardware implementation of adaptive median filters. In: 11th IEEE workshop on design and diagnostics of electronic circuits and systems (DDECS), Bratislava, Slovakia, pp. 1–6Google Scholar
- 5.Smith JL (1996) Implementing median filters in XC4000E FPGAs. Xcell 23:16Google Scholar