Issues Related to Damage Stability
This chapter attempts to provide a brief historical overview of how the demands for increased safety, in combination with advances in computing hardware and software, have resulted in changes to the regulatory framework governing damage stability.
- SOLAS Consolidated Edition, 2014, Consolidated text of the International Convention for Safety of Life at Sea, 1974, and its Protocol of 1988: articles, annexes and certificates. Incorporating all amendments in effect from 1 July 2014, International Maritime Organization, London, United Kingdom, 2014. ISBN 978-92-801-1594-9.Google Scholar
- “The Technical Investigation of the sinking of the ro/ro ferry “European Gateway”” by J.R. Spouge published in the Transactions of the Royal Institution of Naval Architects, 1986.Google Scholar
- MSC.1/Circ.1461 Guidelines for Verification of Damage Stability requirements for Tankers, International Maritime Organization, London, United Kingdom, 8th July, 2013. (Approved by the Maritime Safety Committee at its ninety-second session 12th to 21st June, 2013).Google Scholar
- Flooding and capsize of ro-ro passenger ferry Herald of Free Enterprise with loss of 193 lives; Formal Investigation Report by Hon. Mr Justice Sheen, Wreck Commissioner. Report of Court No. 8074, first published 1987. https://www.gov.uk/maib-reports/flooding-and-subsequent-capsize-of-ro-ro-passenger-ferry-herald-of-free-enterprise-off-the-port-of-zeebrugge-belgium-with-loss-of-193-lives.
- Final Report on the capsizing on 28th September 1994 in the Baltic Sea of the Ro-Ro passenger vessel MV Estonia by the Joint Accident Investigation Commission of Estonia, Finland and Sweden; published December 1997. http://www.onnettomuustutkinta.fi/material/attachments/otkes/tutkintaselostukset/en/vesiliikenneonnettomuuksientutkinta/1994/mv_tutkintaselostus/mv_tutkintaselostus.pdf.
- Information resources on the “Al Salam Boccaccio 98”, IMO Maritime Knowledge Centre, last updated January 2010. http://www.imo.org/en/KnowledgeCentre/InformationResourcesOnCurrentTopics/InformationResourcesOnCurrentTopicsArchives/Documents/AL%20SALAM%20BOCCACCIO%2098%20_January%202010.pdf.
- Directive 2003/25/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 14 April 2003 on specific stability requirements for ro-ro passenger ships, Official Journal L123, of the European Union, Brussels, Belgium, 17th May, 2003.Google Scholar
- Resolution A.265(VIII) Regulation on subdivision and stability of passenger ships as an equivalent to Part B of Chapter II of the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, 1969, Assembly, International Maritime Organization, London, United Kingdom, adopted on 20th November 1973.Google Scholar
- SOLAS Consolidated Edition, 1992, Consolidated text of the International Convention for Safety of Life at Sea, 1974, and its Protocol of 1988: articles, annexes and certificates. Incorporating all amendments up to and including the 1990 amendments (1991 amendments as an appendix), International Maritime Organization, London, United Kingdom, 1992. ISBN 978-92-801-1594-5.Google Scholar
- “The Black Tide: in the wake of the Torrey Canyon” by Richard Petrow, published 1 January, 1968.Google Scholar
- Marine Accident Report: Grounding of the U.S. Tankship “Exxon Valdez on Bligh Reef, Prince William Sound, near Valdez, Alaska March 24, 1989 by National Transportation Board. http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/noaa_documents/NOAA_related_docs/oil_spills/marine_accident_report_1990.pdf.
- Resolution MSC.281(85) Explanatory Notes to the SOLAS Chapter II-1 Subdivision and Damage Stability Regulation, Maritime Safety Committee, International Maritime Organization, London, United Kingdom, 4th December 2008.Google Scholar
- “SOLAS 2020 Damage Stability Regulations” by A.L. Scott and K.W. Hutchinson – a power-point presentation given to the Western Europe Section of SNAME at Lloyds Register of Shipping, 71 Fenchurch Street, London on 6th February 2018.Google Scholar