Stochastic Wave Inputs for Extreme Roll in Near Head Seas
An approach to generate the extreme value distribution of parametric roll in near head sea conditions is presented using a Design Load Generator (DLG) , a process to approximate the extreme value distribution of a Gaussian random variable. Statistics of the roll amplitudes of a Joint High Speed Sealift (JHSS) concept hull calculated from the DLG and the Large Amplitude Motion Program (LAMP) are compared in Weibull space with the results from limited Monte Carlo simulations. The interpretation of the exposure period of the DLG results is included.
The authors would like to gratefully acknowledge the support of the Office of Naval Research grants: “Design Loads Generator - Ship Design and Simulation Tools for Complex Marine Systems”, Award Number N00014-08-1-0594, under the direction of Kelly Cooper and “Support for the Theory Advisory Panel (TAP)”, Award Number N00014-09-1-0978, under the direction of Dr. Pat Purtell. Special thanks go to William Belknap and Allen Engle at NSWCCD for JHSS hull geometry and technical reports on statistical techniques; Woei-Min Lin and Ken Weems from SAIC for technical support on LAMP; and Matt Collette from the University of Michigan.
- Belenky, V.L.: On Self-Repeating Effect in Reconstruction of Irregular Waves. Contemporary Ideas on Ship Stability pp. 589–598 (2011)Google Scholar
- France, W.N., Levadou, M., Treakle, T.W., Paulling, J.R., Michel, R.K., Moore, C.: An investigation of head-sea parametric rolling and its influence on container lashing systems. Marine Technology 40(1), 1–19 (2003)Google Scholar
- Jensen, J.J., Pedersen, P.T.: Critical wave episodes for assessment of parametric roll. Proceedings of the Ninth International Marine Design Conference (IMDC) pp. 399–411 (2006)Google Scholar
- Kato, H.: Effect of Bilge Keels on the Rolling of Ships. J. Soc. Nav. Archit. Japan 117 (1965)Google Scholar
- Kim, D.H.: Design Loads Generator: Estimation of Extreme Environmental Loadings for Ship and Offshore Applications. Ph.D. thesis, The University of Michigan (2012)Google Scholar
- Kim, D.H., Alford, L.K., Troesch, A.W.: Probability Based Simulation of Stern Slamming Design Events. In: The 2010 Conference on Grand Challenges in Modeling and Simulation (2010)Google Scholar
- Kim, D.H., Engle, A.H., Troesch, A.W.: Estimates of Long-Term Combined Wave Bending and Whipping for Two Alternative Hull Forms. Transactions of Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers 119 (2011)Google Scholar
- Kim, D.H., Troesch, A.W.: An application of Design Load Generator to predict extreme dynamic bending moments. 29th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering (OMAE2010) (49118), 635–643 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1115/OMAE2010-20378. URL http://link.aip.org/link/abstract/ASMECP/v2010/i49118/p635/s1
- Kim, D.H., Troesch, A.W.: Statistical Estimation of Extreme Roll Responses in Short Crested Irregular Head Seas. Transactions of Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers 121 (2013)Google Scholar
- Piro, D., Brucker, K.A., O’Shea, T.T., Wyatt, D., Dommermuth, D., Story, W.R., Devine, E.A., Powers, A.M., Fu, T.C., Fullerton, A.M.: Joint High Speed Sealift (JHSS) Segmented Model Test Data Analysis and Validation of Numerical Simulations. Tech. rep., Naval Surface Warfare Center Carderock Division (2012)Google Scholar
- Shin, Y.S., Belenky, V.L., Lin, W.M., Weems, K.M., Engle, A.H.: Nonlinear Time Domain Simulation Technology for Seakeeping and Wave-Load Analysis for Modern Ship Design. Transactions of Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers 111, 557–583 (2003)Google Scholar
- Shin, Y.S., Belenky, V.L., Paulling, J.R., Weems, K.M., Lin, W.M.: Criteria for parametric roll of large containerships in longitudinal seas. Transactions-Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers 112, 14–47 (2004)Google Scholar