Wine Tourist’s Perception of Winescape in Central Otago, New Zealand
The wine industry of Central Otago has experienced rapid growth over the past two decades. The region has a strong reputation as a producer of premium pinot noir, and there is strong synergy between the Central Otago wine brand and tourism promotion and activity in the region. This chapter reports on the experiences of 178 international and domestic wine tourists to Central Otago. In particular, it is focused on the perception of the winescape of the region, which is dominated by the natural scenery and landscape. While the cultural heritage and history of the district features strongly in the marketing and promotion of tourism and the wine industry in Central Otago, it features less prominently in these visitors’ perception of winescape. Implications of this finding for the future promotion of the region to wine tourists are discussed.
KeywordsWine tourists Perceptions Winescape New Zealand Cultural heritage Natural scenery
- Baird, T. (2012). Between the vines: A comparative analysis of wineries’ attitudes towards wine tourism in New Zealand. Masters thesis. Christchurch, New Zealand: University of Canterbury.Google Scholar
- Baird, T., & Hall, C. M. (2014). Between the vines: Wine tourism in New Zealand. In P. Howland (Ed.), Social, cultural and economic impacts of wine in New Zealand (pp. 191–226). Florence, KY: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Ballantyne, D. (2011, June). Sustaining the promise of terroir: The case of the Central Otago wine region. Proceedings of the 6th AWBR International Conference, Bordeaux Management School, Bordeaux, France.Google Scholar
- Bruwer, J., Pratt, M. A., Saliba, A., & Hirche, M. (2014). Regional destination image perception of tourists within a winescape context. Current Issues in Tourism, 20 (2), 1–21.Google Scholar
- Central Otago Winegrowers Association. (n.d.a). Central Otago wine map: Regional overview. http://www.cowa.org.nz/downloads/maps/regional-overview.pdf.
- Central Otago Winegrowers Association. (n.d.b). Central Otago vineyards and wineries. http://www.cowa.org.nz/vineyard-directory/index.html.
- Fountain, J., & Dawson, D. (2013, June). Buying into a regional brand: The naming of Central Otago wineries (Refereed paper). 7th Academy of Wine Business Research (AWBR) Conference, Brock University, St Catharines, Ontario.Google Scholar
- Fountain, J., & Dawson, D. (2014). The new gold: The role of place and heritage in the marketing of the Central Otago wine region. In M. Harvey, L. White, & W. Frost (Eds.), Wine and identity: Branding, heritage, terroir (pp. 43–56). Abington: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Hall, C. M., Johnson, G., Cambourne, B., Macionis, N., Mitchell, R., & Sharples, L. (2000). Wine tourism: An introduction. In C. M. Hall, L. Sharples, B. Cambourne, & N. Macionis (Eds.), Wine tourism around the world: Development, management and markets (pp. 1–23). Oxford: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Hall, C. M., & Mitchell, R. (2002). The tourist terroir of New Zealand wine: The importance of region in the wine tourism experience. In A. Montanari (Ed.), Food and environment: Geographies of taste (pp. 69–91). Rome: Societa Geografica Italiana.Google Scholar
- Mackay, M., Perkins, H. C., & Taylor, C. N. (2014). Producing and consuming the global multifunctional countryside: Rural tourism in the South Island of New Zealand. In K. Dashper (Ed.), Rural tourism: An international perspective (pp. 41–58). Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Economic Development. (2009). Tourist activity: Wine tourism. http://www.med.govt.nz/sectors-industries/tourism/pdf-docs-library/tourism-research-and-data/other-research-and-reports/tourism-sector-profiles/tourist-activity-profile/winetourismfinal2009.pdf.
- Mitchell, R. D. (2004). ‘Scenery and chardonnay’: A visitor perspective of the New Zealand winery experience. PhD thesis. Dunedin, New Zealand: University of Otago.Google Scholar
- New Zealand Wine. (2005). New Zealand Winegrowers annual report 2005. Auckland, New Zealand: New Zealand Wine. http://www.nzwine.com/assets/sm/upload/sh/a6/g7/mp/AReport_2005.pdf.
- New Zealand Winegrowers. (2017a). Our regions: Central Otago. https://www.nzwine.com/en/our-regions/central-otago/.
- New Zealand Winegrowers. (2017b). New Zealand Winegrowers annual report 2017.Google Scholar
- Oram, R. (2004). Pinot pioneers: Tales of determination and perseverance from Central Otago. Auckland, NZ: New Holland Publishers.Google Scholar
- Saker, J. (2010). Pinot noir: The New Zealand story. Auckland, NZ: Random House.Google Scholar
- Tourism New Zealand. (2014). Tourist special interest: Wine tourism. http://www.tourismnewzealand.com/media/1132209/wine-tourism-profile.pdf.
- Woods, C., Newth, J., & Lewis, N. (2012). Central Otago Winegrowers association: Strategic review. Cromwell, NZ: COWA.Google Scholar