D2D-Based Resource Saving and Throughput Enhancement for Massive Smart Devices in LTE eMBMS
With the development of Internet of Thing (IoT) technologies, more and more intelligent devices can detect many kinds of environmental conditions, and send collected data or alarm back to application system automatically. If those massive IoT devices are connected via LTE network and the system need to send instructions to those IoT devices, the amount of data transmission in LTE would be raised quickly. To reduce the transmission load, multicasting provided by LTE evolved Multimedia Broadcast Multicast Services (eMBMS) service is one of solutions. However, the eMBMS service is dominated by the device with lowest signaling quality resulting in poor efficiency. A Device-to-Device (D2D) based mechanism was proposed to improve transmission efficiency of eMBMS service in this paper. Simulation results have shown that the proposed D2D-based mechanism can reduce the number of allocated resource blocks.
KeywordsLTE eMBMS D2D
This work was supported in part by the Taiwan Mobile Co., Ltd., Taiwan, R.O.C., under grant no. 106-09-031.
- 2.3GPP TS 36.300: Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access (E-UTRA) and Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access Network (E-UTRAN). Rel. 10, v10.12.0 (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.3GPP TS 23.246: Technical Specification Group Services and System Aspects; Multimedia Broadcast/Multicast Service (MBMS); Architecture and Functional Description. Rel. 12, v12.4.0 (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Nguyen, N.-D., Knopp, R., Nikaein, N., Bonnet, C.: Implementation and validation of multimedia broadcast multicast service for LTE/LTE-advanced in OpenAirInterface platform. In: 38th Conference on Local Computer Networks Workshops (LCN Workshops), pp. 70–76, Sydney, NSW (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Bataa, O., Chuluun, O., Orosoo, T., Lamjav, E., Kim, Y., Gonchigsumlaa, K.: A functional design of BM-SC to support mobile IPTV in LTE network. In: 7th International Forum on Strategic Technology (IFOST), Tomsk, pp. 1–5 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Chen, J.-Y., Mai, Y.-T., Yang, C.-C., Young, F.F.: Design of transmission and scheduling mechanisms with fairness and throughput improvement for D2D relaying in LTE networks. In: 2017 International Conference on Innovation and Management (IAM 2017 Winter), Japan, pp. 681–92 (2017)Google Scholar