Moringa Production and Consumption: An Alternative Perspective for Government Policy-Making
Drumsticks (Moringa) have a tremendous potential to solve many issues of the world related to nutrition and general diseases with the support of proper institutions (The authors acknowledge all the respondents, primarily from the marginalised segment of West Bengal, for their valuable time and insights. The authors also acknowledge Professor Lipsa Mohapatra’s efforts regarding data assimilation.). We scanned the literature to understand different benefits of Moringa with a major focus on its nutritional benefits. We analysed the situation of undernutrition in India, strengths and weaknesses of different Moringa-producing organisations across countries, governments’ policies on Moringa production and consumption and interviews with – middle-class/poor rural/semi-urban Indian women through questionnaires. We studied Moringa production and consumption to address the issue of undernutrition and interviewed different government officials who worked in this area. The literature review and empirical evidence collected helped the authors to argue for a holistic, sustainable community-driven organisation that will be deep-rooted with local market networks. This will help in effective Moringa production and consumption in India to address the malnutrition challenges of our country.
KeywordsMoringa Malnutrition Sustainable community development Local economy Nutritional needs
- Antony, G.M.; Laxmaiah, A., 2008: “Human Development, Poverty, Health and Nutrition Situation In India”, in: The Indian Journal of Medical Research, 128 (August): 198–205.Google Scholar
- Blog, K., 2015: “What Kuli Kuli and Fidel Castro Have in Common”, at: https://blog.kulikulifoods.com/2015/04/28/fidel-castro-moringa/ (12 May 2016).
- Deaton, A.; Drèze, J., 2009: “Nutrition in India: Facts and Interpretations”, in: Economic and Political Weekly, 44 (February): 42–65.Google Scholar
- Dixit, S.; Tripathi, A.; Kumar, P., 2016: “Medicinal Properties of Moringa oleifera: A Review”, in: International Journal of Education and Science Research Review, 3 (April): 2,348–6,457, at: www.ijesrr.org (14 December 2016).
- Gopalakrishnan, L.; Doriya, K.; Kumar, D., 2016: “Moringa oleifera: A Review on Nutritive Importance and Its Medicinal Application”, in: Food Science and Human Wellness (Beijing Academy of Food Sciences), 5 (2): 49–56, at: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fshw.2016.04.001 (13 December 2017).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- International Institute for Population Sciences, 2007: “National Family Health Survey (NFHS-3), 2005–06: India: Volume I, in: International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance, Vol. 1”, at: https://doi.org/10.1108/ijhcqa.2005.06218gab.007 (14 November 2015).
- Kuli Kuli Foods, n.d.: “Kuli Kuli Foods—A Moringa Superfood Company”, at: https://www.kulikulifoods.com/ (3 October 2016).
- NN, 2005: “Improving Lives through the Moringa Tree”, at: http://moringaconnect.com/.
- Odeyo, J., 2014: “Leveraging Business for Social Change: Building the Field of Social Business Changemakers”, at: https://www.changemakers.com/socialbusiness/entries/moringa-oleifera-nutritional-supplement (28 September 2015).
- Ramos, J., 2015: “Organic Entrepreneurship and Moringa in A Case Study: Baca Villa Co.”, at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/317356339_Organic_enterpreneurship_and_Moringa_in_Cambodia_A_case_study_Baca_Villa_Co (19 November 2016).
- Sengupta, S.; Singh, B.; Prasanna., R., 2016: “Breaking the Cycle of Malnutrition in India in Fulwari, Surguja; Chhattisgarh; Aman Persera, Meghalaya”, in: ASCI Journal of Management, 45 (September): 20–35.Google Scholar
- Shivarajah, P., 2015: “Moringa Cultivation Gets a Boost as TN Grants Rs 1”, in: Times of India, 3 November, at: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/madurai/Moringa-cultivation-gets-a-boost-as-TN-grants-Rs-1-5-cr-to-popularise-it/articleshow/49640706.cms (15 May 2017).
- Smallholder Farmers Alliance, 2015: “Moringa: Export Market Potential for Smallholder Farmers in Haiti”.Google Scholar
- Stolarz, S., 2015: “Could a Miracle Tree Help End Malnutrition in India?”, in: BBC News, 2015, at: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30504720 (16 April 2016).
- Toensmeier, E., 2012: “Cuba Mass planting Moringa and Mulberry”, at: http://www.perennialsolutions.org/cuba-mass-planting-moringa-and-mulberry (24 September 2017).