Intensification of Bodi-Based Farming for Sustainable Livelihood Assurance
It is an agricultural tradition in Gadchiroli district of Maharashtra to make large ponds within paddy fields. These water bodies, locally known as bodis, serve the purpose of storing rainwater. Besides irrigating the paddy crop, the water in the bodi may be used for fish culture. A bodi-based farming system having greater diversification with ducks, poultry, fishery, fruit trees, vegetable cultivation and vermicompost-making was designed and analysed for production, income and employment. The study was carried out in two farms having bodis of 0.40 and 0.28 ha, respectively, in BAIF-MITTRA’s Etapalli project villages of Tumargunda and Gurupalli in Gadchiroli district of Maharashtra during 2012–13. Preliminary results indicated that the integrated bodi-based farming system can generate an income of more than Rs. 60,000. The main income, as expected, was in the rainy season, but there were occasional returns during the rest of the year as well.
KeywordsBodi-based farming Livelihood Resource use Income generation Integrated approach
- Alam, M.R.; Islam, F.; Molla, M.S.H.; Hossain, M.A.; Hoque, M., 2001: “Pond based integrated farming systems with fish, poultry and vegetables”, in: Annual Report 2001–2002 (Pabna: Bangladesh Agril. Res. Institute, On-Farm Res. Divn.): 126–128. Csavas, I., 1991: “Regional review on livestock-fish production systems in Asia”, Paper presented at International Workshop on Integrated Livestock-Fish Production Systems, 16–20 December 1991, University of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur (Bangkok: FAO/RAPA).Google Scholar
- Delmendo, M.N., 1980: “A review of integrated livestock-fowl-fish farming systems”, in: Pullin, R.S.V.; Shehadeh, Z.H. (Eds.): Integrated Agriculture Aquaculture Farming Systems, ICLARM Conf. Proc. 4 (Manila, Philippines): 59–71.Google Scholar
- Devendra, C., 1991: “Integrated animal-fish-mixed cropping systems”, FAO/IPT Workshop on Integrated Livestock-Fish Production Systems, 16–20 December 1991, Institute of Advanced Studies, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Singapore: International Development Research Centre, Division of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Sciences); at: http://www.fao.org/docrep/004/ac155E/AC155E10.htm (15 June 2014).
- Edwards, P., 1990: “An alternative excreta re-use strategy for aquaculture: The production of high protein animal feed”, in: Edwards, P.; Pullin, R.S.V. (Eds.): Proceedings of the International Seminar on Waste Water Reclamation and Re Use for Aquaculture (Calcutta, India, December 1988): 209–221.Google Scholar
- Edwards, P.; Demaine, H., 1997: Rural Aquaculture: Overview and Framework for Country Reviews (Bangkok: RAP/FAO).Google Scholar
- FAO, 1990: Women in Agricultural Development: Gender Issues in Rural Food Security in Developing Countries (Rome: FAO).Google Scholar
- FAO; ICLARM; IIRR, 2001: Integrated agriculture-aquaculture: a primer, FAO Fisheries Technical Paper No. 407 (Rome: FAO).Google Scholar
- Hasan, M.R.; Hecht, T.; De Silva, S.S.; Tacon, A.G.J. (Eds), 2007: Study and analysis of feeds and fertilizers for sustainable aquaculture development. FAO Fisheries Technical Paper. No. 497 (Rome: FAO).Google Scholar
- Iqbal, S., 1999: Duckweed Aquaculture: Potentials, Possibilities and Limitations for combined Waste Water Treatment and Animal Feed Production in Developing Countries. SUNDEC Report no. 6/99, Switzerland.Google Scholar
- Kumar, S.; Jain, D.K., 2005: “Are linkages between crops and livestock important for the sustainability of the farming system?”, in: Asian Economic Review, 47(1): 90–101.Google Scholar
- Lightfoot, C., 1990: “Integration of aquaculture and agriculture: A route to sustainable farming systems”, in: The ICLARM Quarterly, 13(1): 9–12.Google Scholar
- Little, D.C.; Innes-Taylor, N.L.; Turongruang, D.; Komolmarl, S., 1991: “Large seed for small-scale aquaculture”, in: Aquabyte, 4(2): 2–3.Google Scholar
- Man, L.H., 1991: “Duck-Fish integration in Vietnam” (Hanoi, Vietnam: Vietnam Union of Poultry Enterprises); at: http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/004/AC155E/AC155E15.htm (16 December 1991).
- Men, B.X.; Su, V.V., 1990: “‘A’ molasses in diets for growing ducks”, in: Livestock Research for Rural Development, 2(3), article #30 (30 December 1990); at: http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd2/3/vietnam1.htm (8 March 2006).
- Mohamad Hanif, M.J.; Tajuddin, Z.A.; Doyah, O.S.; Mohamad, M., 1990: “Maximising farm production output through fish, prawn, chicken, duck and crop farming”, Proceedings of the 13th Malaysian Society of Animal Protection Annual Conference (Malacca, Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur).Google Scholar
- Mukherjee, T.K.; Geeta S.; Rohani A.; Phang S.M., 1991: Study on Integrated Duck-Fish and Goat-Fish Production Systems (Kuala Lumpur: University of Malaya, Institute of Advanced Studies).Google Scholar
- Nuruzzaman, A.K.M., 1991: Integrated Fish Farming System Holds Promise in Bangladesh (Dhaka, Bangladesh: 5/H Eastern Housing Apt.).Google Scholar
- Pingel, H.; Tieu H.V., 2005: Duck Production (Vietnam: The Agricultural Publishing House).Google Scholar
- Sahoo, B.; Lenka, A.; Nedunchezhiyan, M., 2012: “Sustainable livelihood support through enterprise convergence in pond based farming system”, in: Odisha Review (April 2012).Google Scholar
- Samantray, B.R.; Ku, B.D.; Kurukshetra, C.P.K.: “Community based fish farming a new facet of employment for rural women”, in: India: 41 (February 2013).Google Scholar
- Skillicorn, P.; Spira, W.; Journey, W., 1993: Duckweed Aquaculture: A New Aquatic Farming System for Developing Countries (Washington DC: The World Bank); at: http://www.p2pays.org/ref/09/08875.htm (14 October 2016).
- Tajuddin, Z.A., 1980: “Integrated peking duck-fish farming”, in: Annual Report (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: MARDI, Freshwater Fisheries Branch).Google Scholar
- Vincke, M.J., 1991: Integrated Farming of Fish and Livestock: Present Status and Future Development (Rome: FAO).Google Scholar
- Vincke, M., 1988: “Developing productive systems under village conditions”, in: King, H.R.; Ibrahim, K.H. (Eds.): “Village Level Aquaculture Development in Africa”, Proceedings of the Commonwealth Consultative Workshop on Village Level Aquaculture Development in Africa, Freetown, Sierra Leone, 14–20 February 1985 (London: Commonwealth Secretariat): 39–57.Google Scholar