A Model of Antibiotic Resistance Evolution Dynamics Through P Systems with Active Membranes and Communication Rules
In this work we describe a model of antibiotic resistance evolution dynamics based on a membrane computing approach. The model was implemented in a simulator tool first proposed in , with a naive set of rules and characteristics. In this paper, we describe the improvements over the first version of the model, we introduce new P system rules to manage all the elements of the system, and we explain a scenario in order to illustrate the experiments that can be carried out in the proposed framework.
Our work would not have been possible without the previous contributions of the community in P systems that allowed us to formulate this model as a valid tool and, in some cases, the best tool for modeling biological processes. In particular, all the works on ecological systems of the Natural Computing Group of the University of Seville, led by Prof. Mario de Jesús Pérez-Jiménez, have been our source of inspiration to address the design of our model.
José M. Sempere is indebted to Mario for his generosity and sincere friendship during all these years. This anniversary is a good opportunity to convey to Mario my gratitude for his human qualities, scientific rigor and ethical standards that I have been fortunate to witness and share. My sincere congratulations and best wishes for all that we still have left to share.
- 1.Barbacari, N., Profir, A., Zelinschi, C.: Gene regulatory network modeling by means of membrane computing. In: Proceedings of the 7th International Workshop on Membrane Computing WMC 2006. LNCS, vol. 4361, pp. 162–178 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Colomer, M.A., Martínez-del-Amor, M.A., Pérez-Hurtado, I., Pérez-Jiménez, M.J., Riscos-Núñez, A.: A uniform framework for modeling based on P systems. In: Li, K., Nagar, A.K., Thamburaj, R. (eds.) IEEE Fifth International Conference on Bio-Inspired Computing: Theories and Applications (BIC-TA 2010), vol. 1, pp. 616–621 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Dassow, J., Păun, Gh.: On the power of membrane computing. TUCS Technical Report No. 217 (1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Păun, Gh., Rozenberg, G., Salomaa, A. (eds.): The Oxford Handbook of Membrane Computing. Oxford University Press, Oxford (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.World Health Organization: Antimicrobial Resistance: Global Report on Surveillance (2014)Google Scholar