Connected Vertex Cover for \((sP_1+P_5)\)-Free Graphs
The Connected Vertex Cover problem is to decide if a graph G has a vertex cover of size at most k that induces a connected subgraph of G. This is a well-studied problem, known to be NP-complete for restricted graph classes, and, in particular, for H-free graphs if H is not a linear forest. On the other hand, the problem is known to be polynomial-time solvable for \(sP_2\)-free graphs for any integer \(s\ge 1\). We prove that it is also polynomial-time solvable for \((sP_1+P_5)\)-free graphs for every integer \(s\ge ~0\).
- 1.Bacsó, G., Tuza, Zs.: Dominating cliques in \(P_5\)-free graphs, Periodica Mathematica Hungarica 21, 303–308 (1990)Google Scholar
- 11.Grzesik, A., Klimošová, T., Pilipczuk, M., Pilipczuk, M.: Polynomial-time algorithm for maximum weight independent set on \(P_6\)-free graphs. Manuscript (2017)Google Scholar
- 14.Lokshtanov, D., Vatshelle, M., Villanger, Y.: Independent set in \(P_5\)-free graphs in polynomial time. In: Proceedings of SODA 2014, pp. 570–581 (2014)Google Scholar
- 18.Priyadarsini, P.K., Hemalatha, T.: Connected vertex cover in 2-connected planar graph with maximum degree 4 is NP-complete. Int. J. Math. Phys. Eng. Sci. 2, 51–54 (2008)Google Scholar
- 22.Wanatabe, T., Kajita, S., Onaga, K.: Vertex covers and connected vertex covers in 3-connected graphs. In: Proceedings of IEEE ISCAS 1991, pp. 1017–1020 (1991)Google Scholar