Manipulator Collision Detection and Collided Link Identification Based on Neural Networks
In this paper, a multilayer neural network based approach is proposed for the human-robot collisions detection during the motions of a 2-DoF robot. One neural network is designed and trained by Levenberg-Marquardt algorithm to the coupled dynamics of the manipulator joints with and without external contacts to detect unwanted collisions of the human operator with the robot and the link that collided using only the proprietary joint position and joint torque sensors of the manipulator. The proposed method is evaluated experimentally with the KUKA LWR manipulator using two joints in planar horizontal motion and the results illustrate that the developed system is efficient and very fast in detecting the collisions as well as the collided link.
KeywordsCollision detection Collided link identification Neural networks Proprietary sensors
Abdel-Nasser Sharkawy is funded by the “Egyptian Cultural Affairs & Missions Sector” and “Hellenic Ministry of Foreign Affairs Scholarship” for Ph.D. study in Greece.
- 3.Lam, T.L., Yip, H.W., Qian, H., Xu, Y.: Collision avoidance of industrial robot arms using an invisible sensitive skin. In: 2012 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 4542–4543 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Haddadin, S., Albu-Schaffer, A., De Luca, A., Hirzinger, G.: Collision detection and reaction: a contribution to safe physical human-robot interaction. In: 2008 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 3356–3363 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Morinaga, S., Kosuge, K.: Collision detection system for manipulator based on adaptive impedance control law. In: Proceedings of the 2003 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1080–1085 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Dimeas, F., Avendano-valencia, L.D., Aspragathos, N.: Human - robot collision detection and identification based on fuzzy and time series modelling. Robotica, 1–13 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Lu, S., Chung, J.H., Velinsky, S.A.: Human-robot collision detection and identification based on wrist and base force/torque sensors. In: Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 796–801, April 2005Google Scholar