Analysis and Improvement on an Image Encryption Algorithm Based on Bit Level Permutation
A modeling description of Ye algorithm is first presented in this paper. Then a chosen plaintext attack is proposed aiming at the drawback of Ye algorithm that the generation procedure of permutation vectors has no relation with plain image. With the attack, the permutation vectors (keystreams equivalent to secret key) can be correctly recovered with only ceil(log2(8MN)) chosen plain images, which is proved by Proposition 1. Thirdly, an improvement of Ye algorithm is proposed. Experiments and analysis show the validity of chosen plaintext attack and the security of improved algorithm. Attack and improvement proposed in this paper provides concrete method of security analysis and “plain image related” design idea of secure permutation against chosen plaintext attack for analysis and design of chaos based image encryption algorithm.
KeywordsImage encryption Bit level permutation Chaos
The work described in this paper was partially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 61601517, No. 60902102, No. 60970141), basic and advanced technology research project of Henan Province, China (Grant No. 2014302703).
- 3.Yen, J.C., Guo, J.I.: A new chaotic image encryption algorithm. In: Proceedings of (Taiwan) National Symposium on Telecommunications, pp. 358–362 (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Yen, J.C., Guo, J.I.: A new hierarchical chaotic image encryption algorithm and its hardware architecture. In: Proceedings of 1998 Ninth VLSI DESIGN/CAD Symposium (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Guo, J.I., Yen, J.C.: The design and realization of a new hierarchical chaotic image encryption algorithm. In: Proceedings of 1999 International Symposium on Communications, pp. 210–214 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Yen, J.C., Guo, J.I.: Efficient hierarchical chaotic image encryption algorithm and its VLSI realization. In: IEE Proceedings-Vision, Image and Signal Processing, vol. 147, no. 2, pp. 167–175 (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Ge, X., Liu, F.L., Lu, B., Wang, W.: Cryptanalysis of a spatiotemporal chaotic image/videocryptosystem and its improved version. Phys. Lett. A 375, 908–913Google Scholar
- 16.Ge, X., Liu, F.L., Lu, B., Yang, C.F.: Improvement of Rhouma’s attacks on Gao algorithm. Phys. Lett. A 374, 1362–1367Google Scholar