Blocking Time-Based MPTCP Scheduler for Heterogeneous Networks
In order to solve the problem of buffer congestion caused by multipath transmission, we present Blocking Time-based MPTCP (MPTCP-BT) in heterogeneous network. The proposed algorithm designs a new metric path blocking delay (PBD) and compared it with the receiver buffer to determine whether using a path would cause blocking, and then selects specific subflows set to transfer data. Our evaluation proves that MPTCP-BT allows a reduce by 9.45% in average completion time and decreasing number of out-of-order (OFO) packets by 58.5% as compared against default MPTCP and other schedulers. The experimental results show that the MPTCP-BT algorithm reduces the OFO packets in receiving terminal and improves the throughput.
KeywordsMPTCP protocol Packet scheduling Receive buffer blocking RTT
Project supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (61602172, 61602171), Hunan Provincial Higher Education Teaching Reform Research Project (Grant No. 564).
- 1.Barré, S.: Implementation and assessment of modern host-based multipath solutions. Ph.D thesis. Universite catholique de Louvain (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Bonaventure, O., De Coninck, Q., Baerts, M., Duchene, F., Hesmans, B.: Improving multipath tcp backup subflows. IETF, Individual Submission, Internet Draft draft-bonaventure-mptcpbackup-00 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Halepoto, I.A., Lau, F.C.M., Niu, Z.: Management of buffer space for the concurrent multipath transfer over dissimilar paths. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Kim, J., Oh, B.H., Lee, J.: Receive buffer based path management for MPTCP in heterogeneous networks. In: Integrated Network and Service Management, pp. 648–651 (2017)Google Scholar
- 8.Oh, B.H., Lee, J.: Constraint-Based Proactive Scheduling for MPTCP in Wireless Networks, pp. 548–563. Elsevier, New York (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Paasch, C., Ferlin, S., Alay, O., Bonaventure, O.: Experimental evaluation of multipath TCP schedulers. In: Proceedings of the 2014 ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Capacity Sharing Workshop, pp. 27–32 (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Sarwar, G., Boreli, R., Lochin, E., Mifdaoui, A., Smith, G.: Mitigating receiver’s buffer blocking by delay aware packet scheduling in multipath data transfer. In: International Conference on Advanced Information NETWORKING and Applications Workshops, pp. 1119–1124 (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Wischik, D., Raiciu, C., Greenhalgh, A., Handley, M.: Design, implementation and evaluation of congestion control for multipath TCP. In: USENIX Conference on Networked Systems Design and Implementation, pp. 99–112 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Xue, K., Ke, C., Dan, N., et al.: Survey of MPTCP-based multipath transmission optimization. J. Comput. Res. Dev. 53(11), 2512–2529 (2016)Google Scholar
- 13.Yang, F., Amer, P.: Work in progress: using one-way communication delay for in-order arrival MPTCP scheduling. In: International Conference on Communications and NETWORKING in China, pp. 122–125 (2015)Google Scholar
- 14.Yang, F., Wang, Q., Amer, P.D.: Out-of-order transmission for in-order arrival scheduling for multipath TCP. In: International Conference on Advanced Information NETWORKING and Applications Workshops, pp. 749–752 (2014)Google Scholar