QoS-Aware Service Selection
- 559 Downloads
With the widespread use of the Internet, the number of web services that can provide similar functionality has increased rapidly in recent years. Web service selection has to be based on some non-functional attributes of the services, such as the quality of service (QoS). In this chapter, we use a server switching service that is commonly used in Internet hosting environments to explain how an agent can use a performance model to evaluate services and select the most suitable services among a number of functionally similar services returned by the service discovery. The various criteria that can be used to assess QoS are introduced in this chapter, including mean response time, throughput, system utilisation and others closely related to business such as revenue and operating costs. Service selection in the chosen case study depends on the quality and suitability of various switching policies, in other words, different switching policies can be selected depending on the QoS of the services and the run-time system state. Since the system performance can be evaluated using an analytic model, therefore, the QoS of services is assessed based on the output of the performance model.
KeywordsSwitching Cost Total Revenue Service Selection Queueing Network Admission Control Scheme
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. S. Ali, S. A. Ludwig, and O. F. Rana. A Cognitive Trust-Based Approach for Web Service Discovery and Selection. In Third IEEE European Conference on Web Services, 2005.Google Scholar
- 5.G. Bolch, S. Greiner, H. de Meer, and K. S. Trivedi. Queueing Networks and Markov Chains: modelling and performance evaluation with computer science applications. Wiley, 2nd edition, 2006.Google Scholar
- 6.J. Y. L. Boudec. Rate Adaptation, Congestion Control and Fairness: A Tutorial, Nov 2005.Google Scholar
- 7.G. Casale and G. Serazzi. Bottlenecks Identification in Multiclass Queueing Networks Using Convex Polytopes. In Modelling, Analysis, and Simulation of Comp. and Telecommunication Systems (MASCOTS), 2004.Google Scholar
- 9.D. A. D’Mello and V. S. Ananthanarayana. Quality Driven Web Service Selection and Ranking. In Fifth International Conference on Information Technology (ITNG’08), 2008.Google Scholar
- 11.S. Galizia, A. Gugliotta, and J. domingue. A Trust Based Methodology for Web Service Selection. In International Conference on Semantic Computing (ICSC’07), 2007.Google Scholar
- 12.Y. Gao, J. Na, B. Zhang, L. Yang, and Q. Gong. Optimal Web Services Selection Using Dynamic Programming. In 11th IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC’06), 2006.Google Scholar
- 13.Internet Trace. Internet Traffic Archive Hosted at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. In http://ita.ee.lbl.gov/html/traces.html, 2008.
- 18.D. A. Menasce and V. A. F. Almeida. Capacity Planning for Web Performance: metrics, models,and methods. Prentice Hall PTR, 1998.Google Scholar
- 20.J. Rolia, X. Zhu, M. Arlitt, and A. Andrzejak. Statistical Service Assurances for Applications in Utility Grid Environments. Technical report, Technical Report HPL-2002-155, HP Labs, 2002.Google Scholar
- 21.P. J. Schweitzer. A Fixed-point Approximation to Product-form Networks with Large Populations. In 2nd ORSA Telecommunication Conference, 1992.Google Scholar
- 22.K. Sevcik and I. Mitrani. The Distribution of Queueing Network States at Input and Output Instants. Journal of the Association for Computing Machinary, 28(2), 1981.Google Scholar
- 23.M. Sun and F. Arbab. Qos-driven Service Selection and Composition. In 8th International Conference on Application of Concurrency to System Design, 2008.Google Scholar
- 24.D. T. Tsesmetzis, I. G. Roussaki, I. V. Papaioannou, and M. E. Anagnostou. QoS awareness Support in Web Service Semantics. In the Advanced International Conference on Telecommunications and International Conference on Internet and Web Applications and Services (AICT/ICIW’06), 2006.Google Scholar
- 25.UDDI. Universal Description Discovery and Integretion. In http://www.uddi.org, 2006.
- 26.B. Urgaonkar, G. Pacifici, P. J. Shenoy, M. Spreitzer, and A. Tantawi. An Analytical Model for Multi-tier Internet Services and its Applications. ACM SIGMETRICS Performance Evaluation Review, pages 291–302, 2005.Google Scholar
- 27.L. Vu, M. Hauswirth, and K. Aberer. QoS-Based Service Selection and Ranking with Trust and Reputation. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2005.Google Scholar
- 28.WSDL. Web Serivce Description Language. In http://www.w3.org/TR/ wsdl.
- 29.P. C. Xiong and Y. S. Fan. QoS-aware Web Service Selection by a Synthetic Weight. In Fourth International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery, 2007.Google Scholar
- 30.A. Zalewski and A. Ratkowski. Evaluation of Dependability of Multi-tier Internet Business Applications with Queueing Networks. In International Conference on Dependability of Computer Systems ( DEPCOS-RELCOMEX’06), 2006.Google Scholar
- 31.J. Y. Zhou and T. Yang. Selective Early Request Termination for Busy Internet Services. In 15th International Conference on World Wide Web, Edinburgh, Scotland, 2006.Google Scholar