Development of a Cost Estimating Framework for Nanotechnology Based Products
Nanotechnology materials and products are more and more used in different industry sectors. Due to the novelty and complexity, cost of nanotechnology materials and products are not well understood, which in many cases implies risk in business. This paper develops a framework to estimate the cost of nanotechnology materials and products, it aims to help manufactures to better understand the cost of nanotechnology materials or products at design stage. Expert interviews were conducted to validate the cost estimation logic. It is concluded that the approach and framework developed is able to estmate the cost of nanotechnology based products reasonably but reliable industry standard data will be needed to achieve that.
KeywordsCarbon Nanotubes Cost Estimation Industry Expert Single Walled Nanotubes Decision Engineer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. Ramsden, What is nanotechnology, Nanotechnology perceptions, 2005(1), pp3-17Google Scholar
- Bhushan, b. (2003), Springer handbook of nanotechnologyGoogle Scholar
- Photo courtesy of Sandia National Laboratories, SUMMiTTM Technologies, www.mems.sandia.govGoogle Scholar
- Clemens Bockenheimer, Airbus Needs from Nanotechnology for Structural Health Monitoring (SHM), presentation on NANOTECH 2006, Boston, 7th-11th May 2006Google Scholar
- R. Roy, Cost Engineering, Why, What and How? Decision Engineering Report Series, Cranfield University, July 2003Google Scholar
- http://www.icknowledge.com/our_products/MEMSmodel.html (last accessed on 8th April 2009)Google Scholar
- V. Hotea, 2007. Present and future with carbon nanotube. Available: http://imtuoradea.ro/auo.fmte/files-2007/TCM_files/Vasile_Hotea_1.pdf (last accessed on 22nd December 2008)Google Scholar
- M. Da Silva, Synthesis of carbon nanotubes. Available: http://cobweb.ecn.purdue.edu/~mdasilva/CVDnanotubes.shtml (last accessed on 5th January 2009)Google Scholar
- M.J.M. Daenen, R. de Fouw, B. Hamers, P.G.A. Janssen, K. Schouteden, M.A.J. Veld, 2003. Wondrous world of carbon nanotubes. Available: http://students.chem.tue.nl/ifp03/default.htm (Accessed 10th January 2009)Google Scholar
- S. Freiman, S. Hooker, K. Migler, S. Arepalli, 2008. Issues in single walled nanotubes. Available: http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/practiceguides/NIST%20SP960-19.pdf (Accessed 13th March 2009)Google Scholar