Introduction to Clinical Research Informatics
This chapter provides essential definitions and overviews important constructs and methods within the emerging subdomain of clinical research informatics. The chapter also highlights theoretical and practical contributions from other disciplines. This chapter sets the tone and scope for the text, highlights important themes, and describes the content and organization of chapters.
KeywordsClinical research informatics definition CRI Theorem of informatics American Medical Informatics Association Biomedical informatics
- 1.Mayer D. A brief history of medicine and statistics. In: Essential evidence-based medicine. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 2004. p. 1–8.Google Scholar
- 3.Bacchieri A, Della Cioppa G. Fundamentals of clinical research: bridging medicine, statistics and operations, Statistics for biology and health. Milano: Springer; 2007.Google Scholar
- 5.NIH. The NIH Director’s Panel on Clinical Research Report to the Advisory Committee to the NIH Director, December, 1997. 1997. Available from http://www.oenb.at/de/img/executive_summary--nih_directors_panel_on_clinical_research_report_12_97_tcm14-48582.pdf. Cited 15 May 2011.
- 8.Pryor DB, Stead WW, Hammond WE, et al. Features of TMR for a successful clinical and research database. Proc Annu Symp Comput Appl Med Care (SCAMC). 1982;Nov 2:79–84.Google Scholar
- 10.Carlson RW, Tu SW, Lane NM, et al. Computer-based screening of patients with HIV/AIDS for clinical-trial eligibility. Online J Curr Clin Trials. 1995;Mar 28:Doc No 179. Citation is located at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7719564
- 13.International Conference on Harmonsiation. Guideline for Good Clinical Practice E6(R1), current step 4 version, 10 June 1996. Source located:http://www.ich.org/fileadmin/Public_Web_Site/ICH_Products/Guidelines/Efficacy/E6_R1/Step4/E6_R1__Guideline.pdf
- 14.Shortliffe EH, CImino J, editors. Biomedical informatics: computer applications in health care and biomedicine. Health Informatics. Hannah KJ, editor. New York: Springer Science + Business Media, LLC; 2006.Google Scholar
- 15.Embi PJ. AMIA 2011 summit in CRI. CRI year-in-review. In: AMIA summit in Clinical Research Informatics, San Francisco; 2011.Google Scholar